Chapter 23

If anyone's actually worried about Miro happening, don't worry. Max is legally an adult at this point, so I don't want to write anything like that. It can wait.

(Y/n)'s POV

Being handcuffed felt kind of funny. It wasn't like playing with fake handcuffs as a kid. Those were plastic, maybe scratched your wrists because cheap plastic does that. These were cold and heavy with the weight of criminal justice.

Tadashi and I, along with the rest of the people who were at the bot fight, are in a different cell than Hiro. We're all legal adults, he's not. We all stare daggers at him.

"It's almost like I told you this was gonna happen!" I snap after a while. Hiro just sheepishly grins and avoids my eyes.

"Quiet!" a prison guard barks from somewhere. I roll my eyes. Since we're so tight-packed and can't move our arms, Tadashi pats my thigh in support.

—————

Eventually, another prison guard calls out the Hamadas' name and mine. We are all taken from our cells and lead towards an exit on the side of the building. Upon exit, we see Cass, standing next to her car, biting her fingernails.

"Hey Aunt Cass," Tadashi says timidly.

Cass whips her head around, looking at us. She then charges us and wraps us up in the tightest hug I've ever experienced.

"Are you guys okay?" she asks. "Tell me you're okay."

"We're fine," Hiro says, looking relived that his aunt isn't seething with rage.

Pulling away from the hug, Cass puts her hands on her nephews' cheeks. I stand between them, holding Tadashi's hand. "Oh good," she sighs, her eyes giving a soft, concerned impression. Then, within a split second, those same eyes switch to fuming anger. She moves her hands to their ears and drags them away, pulling Tadashi's hand out of mine. "Then what were you two knuckleheads thinking!?" After successfully shoving them in her car, she turns her head to me. "(Y/n), get in." Fearing her wrath, I slip into the car next to Tadashi.

Four people in the front seat of one car isn't the best idea. I have to cross my legs to fit properly. Tadashi and Hiro keep glancing at each other, both avoiding looking at Aunt Cass at all costs.

As we pull up toward the café, Aunt Cass begins to rant. "For ten years, I have done the best I could to raise you!" We all pile out of the car, heading for the café's front door. "Have I been perfect? No! Do I know anything about children? No!! Should I have picked up a book on parenting? Probably!?" She stops, only for a second. "Where was I going with this? I had a point."

"Sorry," Tadashi and I say at the same time.

"We love you, Aunt Cass," Hiro says timidly.

"Well I love you too!" Cass shouts in his face. She flings the door to the café open and barges in. "I had to close up early because of you two felons. On beat poetry night!" She grabs a doughnut from the counter and shoves a big bite into her mouth. She then shoves the doughnut in the brothers' faces. "Stress eating! Because of you! C'mon Mochi!" She makes the cat follow her, walking off into a different room.

Hiro immediately heads for the stairs, avoiding glancing at us. Tadashi rolls his eyes and grabs my hand, pulling me after him.

We meet Hiro up in the brothers' room. He has situated himself in front of his computer, trying to hide what he's looking at. "You better apologize to Aunt Cass before she eats everything in the café," Tadashi says, throwing his jacket onto his bed.

"For sure," Hiro mumbles, not really listening.

"And I hope you learned your lesson?" Tadashi questions.

Hiro spins at us, an unconvincing look on his face as he says, "Absolutely."

I peer over his shoulder and see what he's looking at. It's a bot fighting website, including a map and times of fights. "He's going bot fighting again!" I exclaim.

"There's a fight across town!" Hiro launches himself out of the chair and towards the door. "If I book, I can still make it!"

Tadashi sighs and grabs Hiro by the hood, yanking him back and sticking his face in his brother's. "When are you going to start using that big brain of yours?" Tadashi taps Hiro's forehead several times to prove his point.

"Why?" Hiro begins cockily. "So people can tell me things I already know?"

"Unbelievable." Tadashi drags a hand down his face. "Oh, what would Mom and Dad say?"

Hiro suddenly sobers. "I don't know. But they're gone. They died a forever ago." I can see he's trying not to cry as he heads back toward the door.

Tadashi sighs, grabbing his helmet and Hiro's off of the desk. "Hey." Hiro turns around, being hit in the chest with the helmet. "I'll take you."

"Really?" Hiro and I say simultaneously.

My boyfriend shrugs. "I can't stop you from going, but I won't let you go alone."

"Sweet!" Hiro begins down the stairs.

"Dude." I grab Tadashi's sleeve before he can walk away. "That is the worst idea I've ever heard. Aunt Cass is not gonna want to break you out of jail again."

Tadashi kisses my forehead. "Relax. I'm taking him to SFIT. Hoping to inspire him a little. There's no way I'd take him to a bot fi--"

"TADASHI! Let's go!"

"Coming!" Tadashi yells over his shoulder. "Oh! (Y/n), you have to go with us!"

I cock an eyebrow. "Wha--why?"

"I have something to show you." Tadashi grabs another helmet and hands it to me, beckoning me down the stairs. I roll my eyes and follow him.

Hiro stands in the general café area, bouncing around with anticipation. Aunt Cass is in the other room, passed out on a plush recliner. Tadashi puts a finger to his lips, telling us to remind quite. Frankly, if Tadashi and Hiro shouting at each other a moment ago didn't wake her up, I doubt our leaving would. He opens the door and quickly slips through, holding it for us to follow. We make our way down to the street, where Tadashi's moped waits. Hiro sits in my lap again, and Tadashi speeds down the street.