Chapter 19

(Y/n)'s POV

I wake up the next morning wearing what I wore on the date and in a very happy mood. When I had gotten home, Mom was asleep on the couch, so I'd just gone up to bed and fallen straight to sleep. I wish I had brushed my teeth, though. Yuck. I roll out of bed and go down the hall toward the bathroom.

After thoroughly brushing the disgusting taste of everything I'd eaten since yesterday afternoon out of my mouth, I head downstairs to get some more food and to start my Sunday, which I was pretty sure was going to be filled with a bunch of chores.

I see Mom at the kitchen island, sipping out of a mug. When she sees me, she gasps, nearly choking on whatever is in there. "(Y/n)!" she exclaims. "How was your date?!"

"It was great!" I exclaim. "We saw a movie, threw popcorn at each other. Kissed for about half a second."

"Cute." She slides a mug across the island towards me. "I made a smoothie. Try some."

I pick it up and take a giant sip. It feels like a solid rod sliding down my throat. I slam the mug down and cough. "Jeez, Mom. How much ice did you put in this? Yogurt?"

"Oh yeah," she says nonchalantly. "I suppose those would've been nice to add."

I cough again, covering my face with my arm. "Yeah. Maybe just a little."

—————

I scrub the sink vigorously, trying to get all the grime and mold off. My hair is pulled back (unless you have short hair) and I'm wearing a (f/c) shirt and black shorts. I've been at my chores for hours and I'm just about done.

"Who knew sinks could be this dirty?" I ask out loud.

"I don't know, when was the last time you cleaned it?" Hiro's voice comes from my phone. We've been video chatting while I've done all my chores so I didn't get bored. I tried to call Tadashi, but Hiro said he's really busy.

"When we moved in," I say. "We change our air filters and all that, but our furniture is covered in dust every time we do a round of cleaning."

"That sounds like a you problem." Something beeps in the background, and then a loud popping noise.

"What the heck are y'all doing?" I ask without even looking up.

"Tadashi brought his project home again and he's been working on it since about seven this morning." Hiro sighs. "I think the arm just blew up."

I hear a loud growl of frustration, probably from Tadashi. "Dude, chill," I say rather loudly, trying to make Tadashi hear.

"I am way beyond chill, (Y/n)!" he yells back.

"Go take a nap!"

"NO!"

Hiro and I laugh as I wipe off the last bit of grime. I stand back and wipe a hand across my forehead. "There. I think I'm done."

"I can see some mold on the wall," Hiro says smugly.

I hang up with the quick tap of my screen.

----------

The next day at school, Hiro seems a little off. I try to talk to him several times, but he doesn't respond to anything. It's not like him to shut everyone out like this, even if it is a Monday. Something's bugging him, and there's no way I can help him.

When he's not there at lunch with Max and me, that's when we get very concerned. We both ate quickly and went out to go look for him.

I find his backpack outside the men's bathroom in the English hallway, looking like it had been dragged though the mud, hanging open, notebooks spilling out. I look at the door, the backpack, and then back at the door. Do I really wanna go into the men's bathroom to help Hiro?

Yeah. Yeah, it's fine.

I push the door open and immediately shield my eyes. I am not about to watch some high school boy doing his business into a urinal. When I determine that no one's using any of those, I uncover my eyes. One of the stall doors is closed, and I see Hiro's tennis shoes sticking out of the stall.

I scuff my shoe on the floor. "Hiro? It's (Y/n)."

"(Y/n)?!" I see Hiro scramble up through the bottom of the door. He flings it open and stares at me, wide-eyed. "Why are you in the men's bathroom?!"

"Checking on you!" I explain. "You've been acting funny today."

He looks down at the floor. "No...?"

"C'mon dude." I stride over to him and put a hand on his shoulder. "What's bugging you? Maybe I can help."

Hiro looks up at me, and then sighs loudly. "Okay. So, ya see. Well. I was thinking. About this thing. And, uh, yeah. So, what I was thinking about. It's...a thing. A thingie thing. That I've thought about a lot. And—"

"Oh, my God. Hiro, spit it out!"

"I think I have a crush on Max and I have no idea what to do about it!!"

I stare at him, wide-eyed. He looks back at me, teary-eyed.

I don't know what I expected him to say. However, that wasn't it.

//////////

A/n: I can't update for crap. 😂 So, here's a chapter. I hope you like it.

Shoutout to whoever commented once and said that Hiro and Max should be in a relationship. I don't remember who you are, but I've decided to make a sub plot that kind of goes along with what you said. No spoilers! Y'all never know what I'll do.

I love you guys! I'll try to update soon, I promise!