Chapter 6

(F/ct): Favorite cartoon
(F/p): Favorite pastry
(F/c): Favorite color
(2nd/f/c): Second favorite color

Your POV

The next day, Sunday, is the day I decide that nothing is worth getting out of this bed for.

I roll myself up in the thick blankets like a burrito and smile. This is the kind of Sunday I like.

Until my mom comes knocking at my door.

"(Y/n), do you want breakfast?" she asks.

"No, I'm comfy!" I shout.

"Yes, but you're also a human," she says. "You need food!"

"I don't need it right now!" I say.

"Plus there are people here!" Mom says.

"Who?" I ask. Must people be here so early in the morning?

"The Hamadas!" she says. "They asked if you wanted to come with them to a show of some sort."

I groan and unwrap myself from the blanket of warmth. I take a peek at my clock. How did it get to be past noon already?!

I throw on a jacket to cover up the (f/ct) shirt I slept in. I opt to just wear the yoga pants I also slept in and head downstairs. (Sorry if you don't sleep in yoga pants. I do. They're really comfy. And if you don't like cartoons, just use a favorite tv show or something like that. *thumbs up*)

When I get to the living room, I see my mom talking to the Hamada boys. I take a seat next to Tadashi.

"Hi friend!" Tadashi says in a playful way, putting an arm around my shoulders.

"Hi friend," I say, smiling at his goofiness.

"So, can you come to the robotics show?" Hiro asks happily.

My mom nods.

"Well, let's go!" Tadashi pulls me up and heads for the door. I look at my mom and smile. She smiles and waves.

----------

When we get to the high school, where the show is apparently going to be held, Hiro weaves through several layers of people to get to the main entrance.

"There's going to be a robotics show that some of the high school students are in. It's kind of like an area-wide competition that happens every year," Hiro explains, talking really fast. "I've always wanted to compete, but I never had any good ideas!"

I look up at Tadashi, who's rolling his eyes. I chuckle and continue to listen to Hiro's pointless rambling.

When we get to the auditorium, we find seats near the front, per Hiro's request. I take a look at all the tables on the stage and admire all the wonderful robotic projects on display.

When the actual show starts, people take turns presenting their projects. Some are pretty great. Some have coding errors. Some just fall apart.

When all has been presented, a judge takes to the stage to announce the winners. Hiro bounces in his seat next to me.

"I like the one that made holograms of things, but I also liked the one that can cut grass by itself," Hiro says. "Oh, who will win?!"

The judge takes out a piece of paper. Clearing her throat, the judge faces the crowd.

"We had a lot of great projects here," she says. "But the winner, by a landslide, goes to--" another throat clear, "Sam Xai!" 

Hiro grunts. "That project had some bad coding and it kept glitching!" He crosses his arms and huffs.