Chapter 7

Your POV

The hand spins me around. A masked man grabs both of my shoulders and shakes me a little bit.

"Who are you?" I ask loudly, hoping someone hears me. Or sees me.

"You don't need to know that," the man says in a deep voice.

Wait, where do I know that voice?

I reach up and yank the mask of the man off. My eyes go wide. But eventually, I smile.

"Max!" I can't believe one of my best friends is here! In San FranSokyo!

"(Y/n)!" Max pulls me into a firm, friendly hug.

I pull away and smile. "How did you get here? Why are you here? Not that I'm unhappy to see you, I'm just curious."

"Well, my mom and dad decided that we could use a new adventure." Max puts his hands on his hips and looks up to the sky dramatically.

I laugh. "Never change, Max. Never change," I say, patting his shoulder.

He rolls his eyes and smiles. He grabs the door of the Lucky Cat Café and holds it open for me.

Before I walk in, I turn to him and ask, "So, why did you put on a mask and say that I didn't need to know who you were?"

He smirks. "Because I thought it'd be fun!" I roll my eyes and step through the door.

"Hi Cass!" I call.

"Oh! Hi (Y/n)!" she calls. She motions for me to sit down at a table. I sit down, Max across from me.

"And who is this?" she asks, smiling, referring to Max.

"Oh! This is my friend, Max," I say, sitting back in the chair.

"Well, welcome to the Lucky Cat Caf-" Before Cass can finish her sentence, a thunderous noise comes from the stairs.

"Hiro!" the loud voice of Tadashi shouts.

"Oh boy," I say.

"What?" Max asks.

"Here we go again." I point to the stairs right as Hiro comes tumbling down, cradling...a cat?

"Oh! Hi, (Y/n)! Hi, (Y/n)'s date!" Hiro shouts.

"Nonono!" I say. "He's not my date! He's my friend!"

"Yeah!" Max backs me up.

Tadashi comes barreling down the stairs next. "Give me the cat!" he screams. Hiro shrieks and stuffs the hairy cat under his arm.

As he runs by the table, he grabs my arm and drags me to the door. I groan. Not again!

Max follows behind us as we run. I eventually break free and start running on my own, not by Hiro's dragging.

"Why are we running this time?" I yell at Hiro.

"I have no idea!" Hiro screams behind him, at me. "I was playing with Mochi and then Tadashi came in and tried to kill me!" I laugh at his comical explanation.

At some point, Hiro dives into an alley and Max and I come in after him. I peek out around the corner. No one.

"Okay," I say, pulling my head back in. "We're safe."

Hiro pants, stroking the cat. "It's okay, little baby. We're safe."

"Rah!"

I scream and tumble over, out of the alley. I scramble away from the alley. Monster! Monster!