Chapter 18

I HATE MYSELF AUGH I'm sorry I haven't updated in forever. I know there's probably no one left who wants to read the story, but hey. I might as well update it. If you are still here, thanks. You're a cool dude.

(Y/n)'s POV

I stand in front of the mirror in my room, smoothing out my shirt and pants for the millionth time. I check the small amount of makeup I put on to make sure it looks okay. I want to look my best. I've been on very few dates; gotta make the most of 'em.

My mom comes into my room and does the typical things moms do and say before their daughter's first date: She covers the bottom half of her face with her hand while giving me a look over before saying, "You look so beautiful."

"Thanks Mom," I say, turning away from the mirror.

"My little girl's all grown up!" She comes forward and wraps me up in a hug. I reciprocate the hug, glad for a distraction from my looks.

She lets go, but keeps ahold of my shoulders. She looks like she might get all sappy/sobby in a moment. "Have fun. Don't get into trouble. Don't go anywhere you shouldn't. Bring some money just in case. Sneak some candy into your purse, movie theater candy is expensive. Don't--"

"Mom!" I cut her off. "Okay. I'll behave and put some M & Ms in my bag before I leave."

She smiles and lets go of my shoulders, leading me out of my room and downstairs to the kitchen. I grab some candy, and we stand around for a few minutes before we hear the doorbell ring. My mom leaps up before I realize it's even rung and swings the door open, almost slamming it into the wall.

"Hello, Tadashi!" she exclaims. I look over her shoulder as I walk up to the door. Tadashi's wearing a yellow cardigan with a white undershirt and some jeans. Does he look more handsome than usual? Or am I just really nervous?

"Hi, Mrs. (L/n)," he says, smiling. Now it's his turn to look over my mom's shoulder and see me. I look down at my outfit that I picked out this morning. It looks decent. I think. I hope. I look at his face and he's smiling. So, that's a good sign.

"How are you tonight?" my mom asks. She does this with every person I've ever been romantically interested in. They'll come over, and she'll talk to them until it's time for them to go and we've barely had any time together. "How's your day been? How's your brother? What movie are you two seeing tonight? Can I take some pictures?"

I decide it's time for me to step in, because Tadashi looks flustered and overwhelmed by her questions. "Thank you Mom," I say, putting a hand on her shoulder. "I think it's time Tadashi and I left. We don't want to miss our movie!"

"Oh, right right." She puts her hands up, stepping back a few steps. "You kids go have fun. I'll be waiting up for you!"

"Don't," I say. "You need sleep."

"No, I'll be fine." She waves her hand in a dismissive gesture. "Text me if you go somewhere else after the movie. Be home before midnight."

"Okayyyyyy!" I hold the syllable and step out onto the porch, shutting the door. I let out a frustrated sigh. "Sorry about that." I've hardly even made eye contact with him.

He chuckles. "No, it's okay. I like your mom. She's kinda funny."

"If you don't live with her." I crack a smile and roll my eyes.

"I can hear you!"

"Mom!" I shout.

"Sorry!" I hear loud footsteps padding up the stairs.

Tadashi and I stand there for a second before we both burst into loud peals of laughter. And, for several seconds, we just stand there, laughing. About something that isn't even too incredibly funny.