CHAPTER-8

Aa beth mere samne, tuj say qalam karun.

Lafz aik bi na bolun zindagi tere naam karun.

__________________

"Tabrez why are you not eating anything?", Rukhsana begum scowled peering at his untouched plate.

"I don’t want to eat", Tabrez pressed his back against the back rest of the chair.

"The food is not that oily as you complained yesterday and skipped the meals", Shanaya raised an eyebrow. 

Tabrez gave her a blank look.

"It seems like I'll have to terminate the kitchen staff", Rukhsana begum growled.

"Or you can just call Hadia", Shanaya took a sip of tea. Tabrez instantly shifted his eyes towards her. “As much as I don’t want acknowledge, that girl perfectly has a taste in her hand”, she added.

“No, it’s alright”, Tabrez pretended to dodge the idea. He could feel his mother’s eyes on him.

"Where is she by the way? It's been a while since I've seen her in the haveli", Chaudhary Aslam said while placing the cup back on the saucer.

"That's not really needed. I can cook something for my son", Rukhsana begum was about to stand up.

"You don't have much time for that", Chaudhary Aslam glanced at his wristwatch. "We would get late for the inauguration of the carnival".

He turned his head to the left side where a house help was standing.

"Call Hadia", he ordered.

A slow smile crept across Tabrez's face.

"She has been assigned another task", Rukhsana begum reasoned. The deep lines etched on her forehead showed her discontent.

"That's not a big deal Rukhsana, you can assign someone else on her position", Chaudhary Aslam replied back. But Rukhsana begum wasn’t ready to let go of the matter so easily and the conversation was somehow turning into a full-fledged argument between the both.

"Assalam u alikum", Hadia's voice came from behind. Everyone turned their eyes towards her.

"Did you call me Chaudhary sahb?", Hadia asked adjusting the dupatta on her head properly.

"Yes", Chaudhary Aslam nodded.

"Where were you? It's been a while since I have seen you inside the haveli".

"Umm I was working in the backyard", Hadia replied in a low voice.

"From now on you will cook whatever Tabrez likes, that's your only task until he is in the haveli", Chaudhary sahb stated.

"Me?", She almost screamed.

"Hun?", Chaudhary sahb frowned. " Is there any problem?"

"I mean how can I?", She cleared her throat and looked at Rukhsana begum, it seemed like she would burst any moment. "I don't know what would Tabrez sahb like to eat", Hadia added.

"He can lead the way if that's the only problem", Shanaya intervened. She turned her face towards her brother and winked. Tabrez had an amused expression on his face.

"But-" Hadia was trying to think of any excuse.

"Tabrez tell her whatever you want to eat", Chaudhary Aslam cleaned his mouth with a napkin.

Raanjhana | رانجھاناजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें