CHAPTER-19

Ajeeb andhera hai teri mehfil mein faraz,
Kisi nay dil bi jalaya tou roshni na hovi.

*****

“Hadia, Can I ask you something”, Amma Jan said softly.

“Amma Jan, for sure”, Hadia replied.
Amma Jan cleared her throat, “Are you awake when Zain comes home?”.

“Yes”, 

Azra baji informed Amma Jan that Zain has not been eating dinner constantly after seeing the leftovers every morning. Since then Amma Jan was worried sick for him. She had an inkling Zain was coming late from work but ignoring his meals was way too much.

“Has he been eating outside?”, Amma Jan expressed her intentions.

“No”, Hadia shook her head. She realized what Amma Jan was aiming to ask her. Amma Jan took a deep breath and sank into thoughts.

Watching Amma Jan's quiet Hadia explained, “I ask him every night but he says he doesn’t want to eat and then sleeps empty stomach”.

“Hadia”, Amma Jan took Hadia’s hand in her. “I know it’s too early to say this but let me tell you one thing dear, you and Zain both are a team. It is something you work on every day. You act together to bridge the gaps and make things work even if sometimes it means one has to initiate it. Are you getting what I’m trying to say?”

“Yes”, Hadia nodded.

“All you have to try. In’Sha’Allah with time you will find solace, understanding, and love with each other”, Amma Jan gave an assuring squeeze to Hadia’s hand.  

“I’ll try”,

“God bless you”, Amma Jan smiled. 

“Madam you can’t enter the house like this”, a masculine voice came from the foyer. Hadia and Amma Jan turned their heads.

“The hell with your permission”, How many times do I need to tell you I am a family member. Can you please listen for once”, Meesha replied in an annoyed tone. Her gaze settled on Amma Jan “Amma Jan you tell him to stop interrogating me”.

“Let her come inside, she is a family”, Amma Jan called out. The security guard nodded in approval and walked out of the house. Meesha huffed and strode inside.

“It’s the new staff. Don’t mind them Meesha”, Meesha engulfed Amma Jan in a hug. “Long time no see, when did you come back?”, Amma Jan asked.

Meesha stepped back, “Last night”, Meesha replied holding Amma jan’s hands in her hands. She whirled her head to the side and smiled, “Oh my my, and this must be the youngest Mrs. Durrani”. 

Hadia’s eyes flickered between Amma Jan and Meesha.

“Yes, Hadia is Zain’s wife”, Amma Jan replied. “Hadia, meet Meesha, our granddaughter’s friend. Remember the other day I was telling you about them”.

“Yeah”, Hadia bobbled her head in understanding she turned her head towards Meesha and greeted her.

“I owe you a wedding gift”, Meesha said.

“It’s really not needed”, Hadia replied politely.

“It surely is”, Meesha sat down on the sofa. “By the way where is Zain, I wanted to have a word with him. How did he get married without giving me time to come back”.

“He is still at work”, Amma Jan replied.

“At work?”, Meesha frowned. “It’s already afternoon”.

Raanjhana | رانجھاناजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें