CHAPTER-20

Itne Zalim na bano kuch tou murawat seekho Ghalib!

Tum pya murtein hein tou kya maar hi dalo gay hume?

*****

"

Good morning uncle", Zain said settling down on the sofa in the lounge. He was dressed in a casual blue jeans paired with black sweatshirt.

"Good morning", Ismail uncle replied while putting on a small piece of tape on the gift in his hand.

"Did Zahra and Wania again gave you their shopping lists?", Zain asked eyeing the packed gifts on the table.

"I love doing this for them by myself", Ismail uncle chuckled lightly. " Besides these are not only for Zahra and Wania, these are small gifts for the whole family. I don't want to visit them empty-handed".

Zain's phone ringed. He attended his mother's call and assured her they will be there shortly. It was sunday, and as decided they had to spend the whole day in the Durrani house.

"We should leave already, everyone is expecting us at breakfast", Zain said to Ismail uncle.

"I am ready, but can't say the same about the ladies", Ismail uncle said while arranging the gifts in the shopping bags.

"Where are they?", Zain asked. He had not seen Amma jan and Hadia since he woke up.

"In kitchen, Hadia is cooking something so Amma jan is assisting her",

"Hmm", Zain stayed silent for a few minutes and then decided to ask what he wished to know since days."Is Marzia coming for work?”.

“I don’t think so”, Ismail uncle replied. “I’ve checked up on her the other day but she wasn’t there”.

“And Tabinda?”,

“I’ve seen her a few days ago but before I can talk to her she left. She didn't want to talk, I believe”.

Zain sat with his head hanging low.  He had tried everything in his hands to run away from the guilt but it wasn’t leaving him for a second. The overworking was not working either. He considered himself responsible for her condition, the condition of which few people were aware. He grazed his fingers through his hair.

Ismail uncle had his eyes fixed on Zain. He could feel Zain’s emotional turmoil, but there wasn’t anything he could help him with not Marzia. Heartbreak was something he himself could not move on from after years of losing his wife.

“Pray for her, Only Allah can ease things for her”, Ismail uncle said.

“I do”, Zain mumbled.

“Amma Jan please”, Hadia’s voice came from behind.

“Hadia it will be delicious, I don’t need to taste it”, Amma Jan replied coming out of the kitchen. Hadia put down the large-sized glass bowl on the table carefully. “You need to have faith in yourself”.

“Amma Jan please”, she said again.

“No”, Amma Jan replied.

Zain turned his head and looked at them over his shoulder.

“Azra baji yo-”,

“Azra come with me”, Amma Jan cut Hadia’s words. Azra baji gave a helpless look to Hadia and went after Amma Jan.

Hadia heaved a sigh and stared at the kheer. She had prepared kheer countless times before but this time she was apprehensive as not only it was the first thing she has cooked for them but also, they were taking it with themselves to the Durrani house.

Raanjhana | رانجھاناजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें