CHAPTER-17

Kabhi is dard say guzro tou,
Maloom ho tum ko kay,

Judai wo bemari hai,
Jo dil ka khoon peethi hai.

-------------------------------

(Trigger warning: The first part contains a mention of mental health/disorder. If it triggers you kindly skip that portion)

“We have to arrange a meeting with the investors”, Huzaifa flipped the pages of a file. “It's once in a lifetime opp-”.

Huzaifa looked up from the file towards the Zain, who was sitting adjacent to him. Zain was zoned out.

Huzaifa silently gazed at Zain for a few minutes and then called him, “Zain”.

“Hmm”, Zain turned his head towards Huzaifa. " Jee Bhai? (Yes, brother?)".

“Did you sleep last night?”, Huzaifa asked noticing the prominent eyebags under Zain’s eyes.

“I couldn’t”, Zain heaved a sigh.

“You shouldn’t have come to the office. You can take off for a few days”, Huzaifa could feel his little brother's turmoil.

“Mom will inform Marzia's family today”, Zain said. His adam apple bobbled, and he crossed his fingers.

“What if you tell the truth to Marzia”, Huzaifa suggested. “Won’t she understand?”.

“Understand what bhai? That I can’t marry her”, Zain shook his head, “No one can take a heartbreak that easily”.

“I am dreading the moment too”, Huzaifa pressed his forehead with the tips of his fingers. 

Suddenly the door of Huzaifa’s cabin opened. Zain and Huzaifa turned their heads and Zain froze.

He wasn't ready to face Marzia yet or maybe he never would be to do so.

“You fell in love?”, Marzia asked with tear-filled eyes.

Zain stood up but remained lip-tight.
Huzaifa straightened up from his chair too and left the room to give them privacy.

“Is it one of your pranks?”, She slowly stepped forward and stood close to him.

“Tell me it’s one of your pr..anks Zain”, her voice broke. She held his collar in her hands and gave it a light tug. Zain lifted his eyelids and their eyes connected.

He stopped breathing. In her eyes, he could see the sadness of the world. That’s what he dreaded the most.

“No”, words came out as a mere whisper from Zain’s mouth.

“You can’t”, she shook her head vigorously. “You are lying. My heart says you can’t cheat”.

The tears had almost blinded her. She left his collar and spread her palms in front of her. Her palms were decorated with henna. Specifically, his name written with capital letters got his attention.

“We were getting married tomorrow”, her hands trembled.

His heart ached, “Marz-”, he moved to hold her hand.

She pushed him with a force that made him stumble, “How can you love someone else knowing how much I love you? Knowing how important you are to me”, she burst into tears.

“I can’t live without you”, she screamed.

She could hear the thud of her heartbeat pounding heavily in her ears. Her body temperature rose, prompting her sweat glands to kick in. Her body was trembling and she closed her eyes.

Raanjhana | رانجھاناजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें