CHAPTER-21

Talvaar say bi teez kajal lagathi hai wo,

mujhe kya aaine ko bi satati hai wo.

kehthi hai muj say kay dil na haaro,

phir khud hi seene mein aag lagathi hai wo.

  *****

Hadia folded the prayer mat and stood up from the floor. Zain emerged from the washroom dressed up in his night dress.

"Dinner", she said standing in front of him.

"I don'-", he squinted his eyes

"No I'm not asking", she cut him mid-sentence. Loosening the dupatta over her head she asked, "Would you prefer to eat here or should I set up the table downstairs?".

"I just want to sleep", he rubbed his forehead and laid down on the couch. Hadia kept standing there, staring at his back.

"I didn't have dinner too", she stated.

"You didn't have dinner?", he asked with raised eyebrows to confirm whether he heard her right.

She slowly shook her head.

He pondered for a few seconds and then said, "Downstairs would be better". He didn't want her to go alone at midnight to bring the food.

"Yes", she approved.

Taking cautious and hushed steps they went downstairs, directly into the kitchen. She picked up the vegetable curry from the fridge and put it in the microwave to reheat it. She opened the lid of the hotpot, the chapatis (Tortillas) were still warm.

The microwave beeped. Putting back the lid on the hotpot, she picked out the bowl from the oven with the help of a cloth piece and placed it on the rectangle wooden dinette table, with four wooden chairs. Zain was also seated there. She took a seat beside him. He served a spoon full of vegetable curry on his plate and she was pouring water for both of them. Extending his arm he poured a spoon full of curry on her plate too.

"Do you want more?", he asked.

She placed the glass in front of him and looked at her plate in astonishment.

Was he going to serve her food too?

He was waiting for her answer.

"Fair enough", she replied.

They began eating in silence. The instant he swallowed the first morsel he recognized she has cooked the meal. It tasted different than Azra baji's cooking. Her stomach growled. She quickly looked in his direction to check whether he heard it or not, but to her fate, he was already gaping at her.

He cleared his throat and said, "You should eat on time, it's almost midnight now".

"Because of you", her mind said.

She didn't answer back as there wasn't a point to responding when she wasn't going to listen to him.

He picked up the spoon and filled his plate again.

"He was hungry", her eyes were fixed on his actions.

He was evidently hungry then why did he deny dinner every night was beyond her understanding.

"Did you cook this?", he asked to initiate the conversation.

"Yeah", she glanced at him and asked, "Is it not good?".

He waited to chew the morsel and then said, "No, it's good. It just tasted different".

"Hmm", she nodded.

Raanjhana | رانجھاناजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें