CHAPTER-16

Usay kehna sambhal kay rahay,
Ishq rasthay mein chorh detha hai.

Bazahir nazr nahi aathi dararhay,
Ishq andhar say thorh detha hai.

---------------------------

Zain parked the car on the car porch of Khan Villa. It was early morning. The sky was painted orange and red as the sun was rising behind the mountains.  

He unlocked the back passenger door of the car. She opened her eyes due to the sound of the door opening.

“We are home”, he said.

Hadia peeked out of the window and realized the car was standing in front of a huge Spanish-style house. She was skeptical to step out of the car and go inside with him. She turned her head towards him. Her eyes were swollen and matching the color of her deep red dupatta, and her face was stained with the marks of dried tears.

Zain could feel her reluctance. He shifted his gaze away from her face and said, “I promise you safety. You can come inside”.

Saying that he stepped aside while silently kept holding the door open for her. Everything was utterly silent so was her mind now, dead silent. Tears blurred her eyes as she stepped out of the car with her back facing him.

Zain closed the door behind her.
He took slow steps so she can follow him. He climbed the four stepped stairs that lead to the foyer. He could already hear voices coming from inside.

“Amma Jan let me do it for you”, Ismail uncle’s voice came.

“No”, Amma Jan frowned. “You can’t-”, she looked up and stilled. 

“Zain”, a slow smile made its way on Amma Jan's face. She quickly stood up from the chair and with hurried steps, she walked in his direction. Ismail uncle and Agha Jan turned their heads towards the entrance too. They were stunned to see Zain rooted in the foyer.

Zain took a step to hold Amma Jan as she stumbled.  “Salam (a greeting: peace) Amma Jan”, Zain took a breath and hugged Amma Jan.

Amma Jan backed off. He bend down his head a little bit, and she took his face between his face, “You are back already”, she said in disbelief. Her eyes shone with joy. “You won’t go again?”.

“No”, Zain shook his head and placed his right hand over Amma Jan's hand. He gave a half-smile to Amma Jan but there was something off about his smile.

“Amma Jan let him come inside first”, Ismail uncle called out.

“My precious chil-“, Amma Jan halted as something red in the back caught her attention. She slightly bent to the side and looked carefully at a girl standing at the door.

Amma Jan adjusted her glasses thinking she might be seeing things, but she wasn’t. There was a girl with a red dupatta draped over her head.

Amma Jan's hold loosened around Zain’s face. Her eyes traveled back to Zain questioningly. Zain avoided her gaze and instead looked at Azra baji.

“Azra baji can you please take her to my room?”, he asked.

A frown made its way on Agha Jan's and Ismail uncle's forehead hearing Zain’s words.

Azra baji was as perplexed as everyone else but she did what he asked her to do. She walked toward Hadia and asked her to come along.

Having no other choice Hadia followed Azra baji whereas everyone was engulfed in deep silence. Zain held Amma Jan's hand and walked up to Agha Jan and Ismail uncle. 

Raanjhana | رانجھاناजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें