CHAPTER-23

Na thi guftugu darmiyaan phir bi unse,
Pas-e-parda-e-dil hovi baat kya kya

[Though nothing was said to Him face to face,
What wondrous conversation occurred behind the curtain of the heart!]

*****

Amma Jan was standing at the doorway with her back facing Hadia. The clanking of her bangles made Amma Jan turn around. Amma Jan blankly starred Hadia, Hadia quickly looked down. Amma Jan's gaze traveled towards the neatly made bed and then to the Zain who was uncomfortably sleeping on the couch. Her facial features changed, clearly showing her displeasure.

Hadia's heartbeat elevated. Hundreds of negative thoughts flashed in her mind. With trembling hands, she placed the tray on the nightstand. The corner of her dupatta got stuck in the alarm clock and it fell on the floor. The noise interrupted Zain's sleep. Slowly he opened his eyes, his vision was blurred. He blinked his eyes a couple of times, to adjust to the light in the room. His gaze went to Amma Jan and then Hadia who was standing behind Amma Jan with her eyes downcast, and the reality dawned upon him.

Slowly, he sat down.

­Hadia turned her back towards them. Her mind was numb, and her body was trembling due to anxiousness. She was scared to know Amma Jan's reaction.

"Amma Jan, you are here?", he stated. "You could have called me".

Amma Jan remained quiet.

In the background Hadia almost ran out of the room, catching his attention. Leaving Zain alone with Amma Jan. Pressing the back of his hand against his mouth he coughed. Amma Jan was bothered by the situation in front of her but she forced a smile and asked, "How are you feeling now Zain?".

She stepped forward. Standing near him she checked his forehead.

"Better", he sniffed.

"Your fever has come down, but it's not gone completely", Amma Jan grazed her fingers through Zain's hair. "I've been worried for you all night".

"Don't worry Amma Jan. It's just a seasonal infection", he tried to assure her.

*****

Since the morning event, Amma Jan was unusually silent. The image of Zain uncomfortably curled up onto a three-seater couch was painted in her mind. A look of anguish washed her face.

"Amma Jan, are you okay?", Ismail uncle asked but she mindlessly continued staring at the table.

"Amma Jan", Ismail uncle softly touched her upper arm.

Amma Jan snapped out of her thoughts and gazed at Ismail uncle.

"Are you alright?", His eyebrows wriggled in concern.

"Yeah", She took a deep breath.

"You are silent and seem uneasy since I'm home from work. What happened?",

"I am fine Ismail. Don't worry",

"I've been telling her Zain will be better soon but-", Agha Jan pressed his lips together and shook his head.

"Is it about Zain?", Ismail uncle raised an eyebrow. Amma Jan blankly looked at him. "Amma Jan, you don't need to worry at all. He is a fine young man, in a couple of days he will be doing great".

Amma Jan nodded and heaved a sigh.

If only they knew what was making her worried.

"Assalam u alikum", Zain greeted entering Amma Jan's room. His eyes were swollen as if he had just woken up from sleep. Hadia followed him inside.

Raanjhana | رانجھاناजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें