CHAPTER-18

Hum dard say haath na milathay, tou kya karthay.
Hum ghum kay ansoo na bahathay, tou kya karthay.
Usne mangi thi roshni hum say,
Hum khud ko na jhalathay, tou kya karthay.

*****

“Amma Jan you haven’t made this week’s meal plan yet. We need it so we can buy the groceries”, Azra baji said.

“Oh Azra, it slipped out of my mind”, Amma Jan said. “Let’s make it now”.

Azra baji sat down on the chair holding a pen and notepad in her hand to write down the menu. Amma Jan turned her head towards Hadia, she was quietly sitting beside Amma Jan and staring at the distant wall.

“Hadia can you do me a favor child?”, Amma Jan asked.

Hadia swung her head.

“Sure”, she replied instantly. She was delighted that finally, they were offering her some work to do.

“Azra pass it to Hadia, she will make the weekly meal planner from now on”, Amma Jan stated.

Azra baji nodded and extended her hand ahead. Hadia was flabbergasted, that wasn’t the sort of work she anticipated. Looking at Azra baji’s extended arm for a few seconds, Hadia grabbed the pen and a notepad. Hesitating a second before pulling the top sheet off the notepad. 

“But I don’t know what everyone would like to eat”, Hadia bit her lower lip.

“That’s not an issue dear. I can guide you with it. Will that be okay with you?”, Amma Jan questioned.

“Yeah”, Hadia nodded. It was such solace for her.

“Make a list of items like vegetables, lentils, meat, poultry, fish, and dairy products”,

Hadia took time to write it down and then looked up, “Done”.

“Write the dishes that could be prepared out of those ingredients”, Amma Jan advised her.

Hadia one by one said the name before writing for Amma Jan’s response. In reply, Amma Jan only bobbed her head.

“Well done, now divide and categorize them in a daily and weekly order”,
Hadia kept looking at Amma Jan.

“What? That’s it I’m not assisting you anymore”, Amma Jan shrugged.

Hadia nodded. She gaped at the paper for a while, mentally pairing the dishes, and then jotted down them.

“It’s done”, Hadia announced showing the planner to Amma Jan. Amma Jan took the notepad from her. “We can adjust the remaining dishes in the next week's menu”, Hadia added.

“It’s incredible” Amma Jan praised Hadia.

Hadia’s lips spread into a smile.
Amma Jan tore the paper from the notepad and handed it to Azra baji,

“Azra buy a new notepad for yourself, from now on my notepad is Hadia’s”.

Kya Amma Jan? (What is it Amma Jan?)”, Azra baji shook her head.

“She has an eye on my everything”, Amma Jan said to Hadia.

Amma Jan handed the notepad to Hadia. “Take care of it”, Amma Jan stated to further provoke Azra baji.

“Don’t worry, I’ll prefer the new one”, Azra baji replied.

“Yup, grapes are sour”, Amma Jan said.

A small chuckle left Hadia’s mouth over their banter. She found their relationship cute.

*****

Raanjhana | رانجھاناजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें