Chapter 6

(A picture of Bilbo Baggins and Brynn!!)

Night has now fallen and we're still going until Thorin stops his pony making the rest of ponies and horses stop as well.

"We stop here for the night." Thorin says getting off his pony.

Everyone cheers quietly as they're all probably tired as-well.

"Glóin get a fire started and Bombur get food prepared." Thorin instructs.

Glóin and Bombur start on the task that Thorin gave them while I put my horse with the other ponies and go into the rock that's smoothed out to look like an overhang that Kili and Fili are sitting by as the fire is being started there. Sitting near them I keep to myself and lean against the rock listing to everyone talk besides Thorin I don't even know what he's doing at this point. Some time passes after all of us have eaten and some of the dwarves have fallen asleep. Staring at the sky I look at the stars trying to find different constellations. While I'm looking at the stars  I feel eyes on me, so I look in the direction to see Kili looking at me. He gives a small smile when I look over and I smile back before looking down at the ground. Feeling someone sit next to me I look over slightly to see Bilbo sitting there putting an apple in his pocket.

"He's looking at you." Bilbo says.

"Who is?" I ask looking over at Bilbo.

"Thorin." He says nodding his head in Thorin's direction.

Nodding slowly I look over in the direction Bilbo nodded in to see Thorin looking at me with a glare to which I look away and back at Bilbo. "So he is."

"Why doesn't he like you?" He asks.

"I'm an elf, Thorin and pretty much all dwarves hate elves."

"But I thought elves and dwarves were friends?" He furrows his brows.

"Oh Bilbo, they were. They were friends outside of battles or at least respectful to each other and during battles their alliances made them unstoppable." I look down at Bilbo.

He looks at Thorin who's still staring at us including everyone else who are now listening in, but I ignore them as I keep my focus on Bilbo.

"What happened?" Bilbo asks looking back at me.

"When Thorin's grandfather, Thrór was ruler of Erebor was when Smaug attacked. Smaug brought fire, death, and destruction to the dwarves of Erebor and unfortunately the men in the city of Dale as-well taking their home leaving the surviving dwarves and people of Dale to become homeless, wanders amongst other people. While they were evacuating the devastation that Smaug brought with him; the Elvenking arrived with his army ready to help. But he stopped his army and just watched Erebor fall to the claws of Smaug." I explain staring into fire

"Then what happened?" Bilbo asks very into the story.

"He didn't help, the Elvenking left the dwarves to defend for themselves." I look back at Bilbo. "And no help came from the elves ever since Smaug's attack."

"Why? Why didn't the Elvenking help?" He furrows his brows.

"No one really knows why he didn't help, some say it's because the dwarves betrayed him and his trust at some point in their friendship, others say he didn't want to risk the killing of his own kin, but no one really knows the real reason as to why he didn't help." I say looking at Bilbo with sadness in my eyes.

"You talk of that day like you were there." Thorin says intrigued while standing up to walk over to us. "How do you know it so well?"

Looking up at Thorin I give a slight shrug. "It was a story that was told across Middle-Earth, the tragic day that Erebor fell and the elves and dwarves became enemies."

He nods slowly wondering if he should believe what I said, but in all honestly I don't think he will. He looks at Balin who shrugs slightly while shaking his head. Swallowing the lump in my throat I look back at Bilbo giving a small sad smile.

"It's unfortunate Bilbo, how two great alliances were broken that day." I whisper looking down.

"Do you think dwarves and elves could ever be friends again?" He asks. "Or at least something of that?"

Sighing I shrug and take a deep breath collecting my thoughts together. "I'm not sure, I always hoped that maybe one day they could be."

Nodding he looks away staring at his hands while I look back up at the stars letting another sigh go. I have a feeling being the only elf here is gonna be hard. Especially the way Thorin's been treating me. Silence falls upon everyone as we're settling down getting ready to fall asleep. Bilbo gets up going to his pony and giving her the apple he had in his pocket and for some reason it makes me smile softly.

While Bilbo is petting his pony and feeding her the apple we hear loud a screech in the distance which makes us all look up cautiously.

"What was that?" Bilbo asks turning around looking at us.

"Orcs." Kili says slowly looking in the direction of the screech.

"Orcs?" Bilbo asks as he comes back towards the fire to be near us.

Thorin slowly sits up from the rock he was resting against as we hear another screech.

"Throat-cutters. There'll be dozens of them out there. The lone-lands are crawling with them." Fili explains smoking his pipe weed.

"They strike in the wee small hours when everyone's sleeping." Kili also explains. "Quick and quiet, no screams. Just lots of blood."

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Well those were some hell of a bedtime story! But at least now we know why the dwarves don't like elves in general which Brynn is right it's sad to two great alliances be broken apart, but also I feel like Kili and Fili didn't help going to bed any easier. Please comment and vote!!