Chapter 7

(A picture of Thorin Oakenshield and Brynn!!)

Staying quiet I look over at Gandalf who looks away and goes back to smoking then towards Bilbo who looks terrified at what they said. Then lastly I avert my gaze to Fili and Kili who stay quiet before a small grin forms on their faces as they look at each other chuckling about what they said.

"You think that's funny? You think a night raid by Orcs is a joke?" Thorin asks with disgust as he gets up walking away from the group.

"We didn't mean anything by it." Kili whispers looking down.

"No you didn't. You know nothing of the world." He says lowly as he walks towards the edge of the cliff with back towards us staring into the sky.

"Don't mind him, laddie. Thorin has more cause than most to hate Orcs." Balin says walking closer to the fire leaning against a big rock. "After the dragon took the Lonely Mountain, King Thror tried to reclaim the ancient dwarf kingdom of Moria...but our enemy had got there first. Moria had been taken by legions of Orcs, led by the most vile of all their race, Azog the Defiler. The giant Gundabad Orc had sworn to wipe out the line of Durin. He began by beheading the King. Thrain, Thorin's father, was driven mad by grief. He went missing, taken prisoner or killed; we did not know. We were leaderless, defeat and death were upon us. That is when I saw him; the young dwarf prince facing down the Pale Orc. He stood alone against this terrible foe, his armour rent, wielding nothing but an oaken branch as a shield...Azog the Defiler learned that day that the line of Durin would not be so easily broken. Our forces rallied and drove the Orcs back; our enemy had been defeated...but there was no feast or songs that night, for our dead were beyond the count of grief. We few had survived and I thought to myself then 'There is one I could follow. There is one I could call King'." Balin concludes ending his story while looking at Thorin.

Thorin turns around looks at his company as he walks towards them to which all the dwarves are standing up by now staring back at their king, their leader, and their friend.

"And the pale Orc?" Bilbo asks slowly. "What happened to him?"

"He slunk back into the hole whence he came from." Thorin says walking pass some of the dwarves. "That filth died of his wounds long ago."

Staying quiet I watch Gandalf and Balin stare at each other sharing a knowing look before they look away from each other. I look over and see Thorin sitting not too far from me back against his rock he was on before. We stare at each other for a moment until I fix my eyes on the fire that is slowly dying.

"Get some sleep, all of you. We leave first thing in the morning." Thorin instructs as he grabs his sack to he can sleep.

Everyone mumbles in agreement as they get their sacks as-well and getting into them some of them falling asleep instantly. Once I believe everyone is sleeping I grab a stick and poke the fire separating it out, so that it goes out completely. While I keep pushing the ashes farther away I look up quickly when I hear something. Furrowing my brows I put the stick down slowly and stand up, quietly make my way towards the edge of cliff. I stare towards the other side where another cliff and forest began and narrow my eyes listening hoping I'll hear the same thing I heard.

Staying quiet I wait a bit longer, but nothing just the owls and the crickets. Shaking my head gently I turn around and go back to my spot, but not before looking back. Sitting in my spot I rest my back against the rock staring back at the stars trying to find comfort in myself. Sighing I close my eyes for a second before opening them again to see the beautiful stars above dazzling in the night sky.

"You should be sleeping."

Jumping slightly expecting everyone to be sleeping. Looking over I see Kili sitting up yawning while rubbing his eyes tiredly.

"I'm not really tired." I whisper looking back up at the stars.

"Why not?" Kili asks leaning against the rock looking at me.

"Too much on my mind." I say.

"Good things?"

"Mostly."

He nods and stares at me for a bit before he looks up at the stars. "They're beautiful aren't they?"

I nod slowly relaxing a little as I look at the different constellations. "Yeah, they're very beautiful." Taking a deep breath I stare back at the stars remembering all the nights my father and I would go outside, and look at them finding the different constellation. "You should get some sleep Kili." I say bringing my attention back to him.

"What about you?" He yawns looking over at me. "Are you going to sleep?"

I shrug not really sure if I will get some sleep. "Get some sleep." I say softly.

He yawns while nodding even though he's hesitant about going to sleep.

"I'll be fine Kili. Please sleep, I don't think your uncle will be happy that you lost sleep by staying up with an elf."

"Goodnight." He says while getting back into his sack.

"Goodnight."

(Next Day)

Moving slightly I let a quiet groan escape my lips as I start waking up. Stretching my arms and legs I sit up and smooth down my hair that's a little messy from leaning up against a rock. Standing up I put my cloak on and place the hood over my head as it is now raining. Grabbing my bow and daggers I put them in their spots and walk over to my horse.

"Good morning." Bilbo says walking over to me.

"Good morning Bilbo, although it is a little wet." I chuckle looking at him.

"True a good wet morning." He chuckles.

Nodding I pet my horse's snout and kissing it gently telling him he's a good boy. "Did you sleep alright Bilbo?"

"After I was able to get comfy, yes I did, thank you for asking Brynn." He smiles going to his pony Myrtle.

Nodding I look over to see Gandalf and Thorin talking to each other while the rest of the dwarves are packing up what we used last night. Rubbing my horse neck gently he nuzzles his head against me causing me to smile.

"Did you get any sleep last night?" Kili asks walking up to me.

"Not a lot, but that's okay, thank you for asking." I answer. "What about you?" I ask.

He nods. "I immediately fell sleep."

"Good, I'm glad to hear that." I smile a little.

Kili looks like he wants to say something else, but doesn't get a chance as Dwalin asks him to come help him with something.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
And another chapter out!! We'll finally learn a bit of why Thorin is the way he is which is good! And that was very sweet of Kili to worry about Brynn not sleeping don't ya think? Please comment and vote!!