70. The Last Early Start

When Tess woke up on that Friday morning, she knew right away that something was different. Today was special. It took a second or two before her brain fully kicked into gear, and she knew that it was the last school day of the year, a day that almost no work would get done. Most of the classes would be taken up by saying goodbye to friends who she might not see until classes resumed in January, and many reminders that they had homework to do over the next two and a half weeks.

Tess sighed, already not looking forward to the homework. But after a little thought, she concluded that everything would feel better after she woke up. She sat up in bed and quickly checked her diaper. Wet again, she realised with a slight blush. But it didn't matter that much. It didn't mean she was a baby; she could blame it on drinking too much last night. Yesterday at school had finished with a history exam, which she'd found more stressful than most just because she could hear students laughing and getting no work done elsewhere in the building. And when she came home, Gabby had seemed to sense the stress and had been more than willing to share a couple of bottles. Tess knew she had drunk too much; there was an unpleasant taste in her mouth, and a little discomfort behind her eyes when she turned the light on. So that was the only reason why she was wet. She tried to ignore memories of the weeks when she had refused to touch alcohol at all, even a single glass with dinner, to disprove that theory before she resorted to wearing diapers.

She didn't talk much over breakfast, still thinking about the day ahead. She was glad to be free of work for a while, free to do whatever she wanted. She was excited about travelling to San Lornezo to see where her parents were living now. But it was hard to be enthusiastic when she knew that she had little opportunity to see her friends outside of school, and it would take so much more effort to get to see people over the break. Everyone had their own plans.

"Are you okay, baby?" Gabby asked, and Tess just nodded. In case more clarification was needed, she glanced over at a couple of empty bottles standing on the counter. And then some instinct told her that her cousin was thinking of treating her like a little kid. Gabby really seemed to think it was a good way to take away stress, but Tess wasn't so enthusiastic; and it certainly wouldn't have been appropriate today, when her silence was due as much to a slight headache as any emotional turmoil.

"Not the headspace thing," she mumbled. "Not today. I'm relaxed enough, just got a bit of a headache."

"Okay, dear. I'm sure you know best." But somewhere behind her, Tess heard a sound that could easily have been a pacifier being dropped back into a drawer. Gabby came back to the table with the coffee pot in her hand instead, and refilled Tess's mug. "Maybe some caffeine will help you to wake up. But be careful you don't drink too much. Do you want a lift to Raybridge today? I've got some last minute shopping to do."

"Maybe," Tess mumbled, and raised the mug to her mouth again. It emptied almost as quickly the second time, and maybe it was her imagination but Tess felt like her head was really clearing. "I should be going soon, anyway. Just one more cup while I finish my breakfast."

"Okay. Did you speak to your parents yet? They suggested on Sunday that I can book flights for you, if you still want to go back to San Lorenzo for Christmas. Easier for us to do it, so we've not got people in different time zones trying to work together on what's a good price or a convenient time to go. I should have asked you earlier in the week, but I've been so burned out with work. I do hope it's not too late to–"

"Don't worry," Tess cut her off. "I know you've got a lot on your plate. Mum emailed to say we should do that stuff, so I booked tickets and sent her a copy of the schedule so they know when to pick me up." She looked up then, and found a reason to smile for a moment. It was the same pride she always felt on achieving something on her own. To Tess that had always been the biggest reward; satisfaction in seeing a task done well. And the fact that Gabby had procrastinated, to the point where she didn't know if it was too late to book, meant that perhaps it wasn't quite the simple procedure it had seemed to Tess.

"When are you going? And where? I'll check my work schedule so I can drive you. Do you need to sort out insurance and–"

"It's all sorted. Bus to Pine Ridge, or if you're at work I can ask you to drop me off in Upper Ashfields. Train to Moistville, then the express to Birmingham, and the airport shuttle goes straight from the station. Trust me, I got this. And I put the dates on the calendar already." She pointed to a whiteboard calendar next to the back door, decorated with a mixed selection of magnets. Two cartoon planes were sitting a week apart on either side of Christmas Day, with the times written in wobbly handwriting underneath them.

By the time breakfast was over, Tess felt like she had drunk a gallon of coffee, but at least it seemed to be clearing her head. She quickly checked her bag, making sure she had everything she would need for school. All that mattered today was a selection of gifts, little trinkets for all her friends. Once she was sure she had them all, she headed back downstairs. Gabby offered to drive her to school again, but Tess declined. She was pretty sure that the cold air and a brisk walk would help to dispel the after-effects of last night's wine before she arrived at school, and there was no benefit to arriving before the people she wanted to see. But she did accept a travel mug, one last serving of coffee that would help to warm her hands on the journey.

* * *

Author's Note: This is the last chapter for today. You would normally have seen one chapter of this story and one of 'Showing Off' today; but ten people supporting me on Patreon means ten bonus chapters every month. If you'd like to see more chapters, or you just want to help me keep doing this, please consider visiting patreon.com/kittyangel to help me out.

Thank you again to everyone who supports me, and to those who recommend the stories to your friends as well. I wouldn't be here without you. I love you all.