chapter 6

Two days later, Richard was having a chemistry class in the faculty lab. All the students were dressed in their lab coats carrying out their practicals with all sorts chemicals. The professor and the lab attendants walk around the laboratory to inspect their work. Two hours later, someone took an excuse to come in from the back door. As everyone turned, they saw Janet standing by the door. She was wearing a blue dress while holding a few books in her hand. 

“How may I help you?” the lecturer queried.

“I have been unwell, sir, I have just been released from the hospital,” Janet explained. 

“Do you expect me to believe this?” The lecturer doubted, but before he could say more words, the rest of the students in the lab confirmed that she was telling the truth. 

“Alright, you can come on in” the lecturer instructed and Janet walked into the lab. As she was walking, Richard who was at the front kept looking at her. 

As she got to the centre of the hall, he quickly stopped looking at her after she had caught him looking at her. She got a seat beside one of her friends and sat. 

About an hour later, the students started leaving the lab after the lecturer signified that the practical was over. Janet remained  in her seat while some of the students, her friends and some people that know her walked to her to ask how she was feeling. 

Richard remained behind watching as everyone talked to her asking her about her health. He waited until after everyone had left before approaching her with her friends. 

“Hey Janet, I hope you are okay now?” Richard asked when he got to where they were sitting. 

Immediately Janet turned and noticed that it was Richard, she quickly got up and headed out of the hall.

“I am sorry Janet, I didn’t know what I said would hurt you that much,” Richard apologized as he walked after, but she didn’t even look back. Her friend ran after her and they left the lab.

Richard walked out and met Paul sitting with some of their colleagues on a bench under a tree at the entrance of their department. 

As soon as Paul saw him, he stood up and walked to him. 

“Hey, where are you heading to?” Paul asked. “I am going to the cafeteria, I want to eat before our next class” Richard announced.

“Then we should go together because I am seriously hungry,” Paul said. 

“Don’t even think about it. I can only afford to feed myself,” Richard responded. 

“Come on, don’t be like that bro,” Paul laughed while he placed his arm around Richard's shoulder. 

“I am serious, you are not going to eat my food."

 They walked together to the cafeteria. 

“Good afternoon,” Richard greeted the elderly woman sitting at the entrance of the cafeteria.

“Good afternoon my boys, how are you doing?” Mama Toyin asked.

“We are doing okay ma'am,” Richard and Paul echoed as they walked into the cafeteria.

They sat at the first table which they found to be empty. As soon as they sat down, the waiter walked to them and asked what they wanted. 

“Two plates of pounded yam please,” Paul quickly ordered before Richard could utter a word. 

“Give me a moment please,” the waiter smiled and headed towards the kitchen of the cafeteria.

“Have you seen Janet? She returned when we were having our practicals," Paul announced.