chapter 40

He walked back to the hostel excited feeling like he's floating on the air. By the time he arrived, it was already midnight and Achuba and Thomas had already slept. He wished they were awake so that he could be happy with them. He lied on his without any sign of sleep in eyes.

He remained like that for an hour until he got to the point where he couldn't take any more. He jumped down from his bed and tapped Achuba on the shoulder.
"Wake up," Richard whispered.

It took minutes before Achuba woke up when he noticed that Richard was not going to give up.
"What is it you have to tell me that you can't wait until morning?" Achuba asked as he sat up with his eyes still closed.
"I almost kissed Rebecca today," Richard happily announced.
"Really?" Achuba asked, and this time, his eyes were widely opened.
"How did that happen?" Thomas, who was lying on the other side of the room, asked.
"Hey, we thought you were sleeping," Richard and Achuba laughed.
"I was, until you guys mentioned something about a kiss," Thomas laughed.

After Richard told them everything that happened, they both laughed at him.
"You know we will also punish you for not telling us about your birthday," Achuba laughed.
"It didn't matter to me," Richard responded.
"It matters now that you miss a kiss for the most remarkable lady in the school," Thomas commented.
"Yeah, and I have to wait until next year," Richard said, pretending to be sad and they all laughed at him.

"I also have another big news," Richard announced.
"Really? What could that be?" Thomas asked.
"Prof. Grace said she is giving me twenty million naira to start a business after she comes back from her treatment in India," Richard announced.
"Oh my God! Are you telling the truth?" Achuba asked.
"Of course I am," Richard replied.
"Beside your mother, no other woman can do what she did to you," Achuba said.
"I think she considers you to be her son Richard, because this is beyond ordinary," Thomas commented.
"That's why I don't think I can ever thank her enough," Richard replied.
"You can never thank her enough," Thomas said.

"So, do you intend on starting the business as soon as she gives you the money?" Achuba asked.
"No, I tend to finish school first," Richard replied.
"Fuck the school. What would you waste your time here and do when you have a huge capital for starting a business?" Achuba asked.
"But I want to learn the fishing farming system at school before going into the business," Richard replied.
"You can learn about that online without even having to complete the course here. You can employ people who are professionals in this field to work for you," Achuba said.
"I think you are actually right," Richard replied.
"I will give you some books to read on entrepreneurship, they will help you," Achuba announced.
"Thank you," Richard replied.

"I wish I could be like you Richard," Thomas said.
"What do you mean by that?" Richard asked.
"I mean you make any decision without someone interfering with it," Thomas said.
"You guys have also interfered in my decisions recently, and I'm very glad you did," Richard responded.

"That's not what I meant. I mean you are free to think of what's good for you without being treated like a child. I don't think I like computer engineering anymore, but I won't dare face my family saying I want to be an entrepreneur instead," Achuba said.
"My family used to be like that until my brother proved them wrong. The thought of going to university is the only way you can succeed," Achuba said.
"Exactly," Thomas replied.
"Have you ever talked to them about how you feel?" Richard asked.
"No I haven't," Thomas answered.
"You should try talking to them," Achuba advised.
"I will do that," he answered.

                         ***
Rebecca woke up the next morning feeling like the previous was all a dream. She sat on her bed and smiled as she thought of Richard. Her mind was lost in her thoughts that she didn't even notice it when her mother came into the room.
"What are you thinking about?" Her mother asked.