chapter 17

The next day, Rebecca woke up and did her chores like she usually does in the morning. She got dressed in her uniform and waited for her mother to come out. Around 7:30 am, her mother got ready and came out for her breakfast.

“Good morning, mum,” she greeted her mother.

“How was your night?” Prof. Grace asked. 

“It was okay,” Rebecca answered.

 “Good, aren’t you leaving for school with your friend today?” her mother questioned.

“I am, I just want you to call Richard. He didn’t show up yesterday,” Rebecca complained.

“Maybe he had a tight schedule. You know it has not been easy for him to teach you and at the same time study,” her mother explained.

“You are right,” Rebecca responded.

“You should be patient with him,” her mother urged her.

“Okay mum, I’m off to school,” Rebecca said as she proceeded to her way out of the house.

“I will see you after school then." 

Rebecca went to Amira’s home and found her still getting ready. 

“You know it is already 7:30, right?” Rebecca alerted.

“Oh my God, I woke up so late today, I think I have to go to school with my breakfast,” Amira replied. 

There is still time, you can eat before we go,” Rebecca assured.

“Alright then please give me a minute,” Amira requested.

“I have given you ten minutes,” Rebecca laughed.

About 15 minutes later, Amira walked out. They quickly boarded a taxi and headed to school. 

The taxi dropped them at the gate of their school about five minutes later. They entered the school and went to their class.

Soon, the bell for the beginning of the lessons rang and Alice came in immediately. 

“Where have you guys been?” she asked.

 "I'm almost late because of her,” Rebecca replied, pointing at Amira. 

“Well, you should be happy you came just right on time,” Alice said.

Before they knew it, their biology teacher walked into the class. 

They all stood up and greeted him after which he started his lesson. 

About 80 minutes later, he ended his lesson. Throughout the lesson, she thought about nothing but Richard.

She desperately wished for school to be over so that she would go back home.

“What are you thinking about?” Alice asked when noticed that Rebecca’s mind was lost somewhere else. She was sitting next to Rebecca. 

“Nothing actually,” Rebecca responded.

“You have been acting really weird lately, is anything wrong?”

“I'm really okay,” she answered with a fake smile. 

“I hope you are telling the truth." 

Their school closed at about 2 pm. Rebecca and Amira took a taxi to go back home.

“You know I have been your friend since we were 8, right?” Amira asked.

“Yes, I'm aware,” Rebecca answered.