chapter 18

The next day, Richard came in the evening around 3 O'clock. Rebecca was sitting with Amira on the bench where they usually sit. Amira was helping Rebecca to loosen her plaited hair. When they saw Richard approaching them, they both quickly stood up.

"Hey, you are here early today," Rebecca said happily. 

"Oh yes, do you want me to go back?" Richard asked jokingly. 

"Well, it's your choice. Besides, I'm getting my hair done now," Rebecca replied as she tried to go back to the bench. 

Amira quickly grabbed her hand and pulled her back. 

"Are you crazy?" Amira asked. "How could you do that to your teacher?" 

"He said he wanted to go, didn't he?" 

"Stop acting like you weren't dying to see him the other day," Amira said. 

"Who? Me?" 

"Yes you. She was dying to see you the other day Richard," Amira revealed. 

"Stop it Amira," Rebecca said to her pretending to be angry, and Amira started to laugh out loud. 

"Come on Richard, let's leave this girl; she has gone crazy," Rebecca said as she headed to the house. 

"She has every reason to be worried, her favorite Math teacher didn't come," Richard replied.

"Yes, I wish you could transform me like you transformed her. You know everyone is surprised at school, even our principal," Amira explained.

"Hey, I said we should get going, didn't I?" Rebecca yelled while she was at the door. 

"Don't worry, we have plenty of time. I will come when I'm done talking to her," Richard smiled and continued talking to Amira.

Before he knew it, Rebecca came and held his hand and started pulling him along.

She dragged him all the way to the entrance of her home. 

"Why don't you want me to talk to your friend?" Richard laughed.

"You know she is crazy, she can say all sorts of ridiculous things to you," Rebecca replied.

"I think she is so sweet," Richard replied. 

"Well, you can go and continue talking to her if you wish," Rebecca said and walked into the house pretending to be angry. 

Richard went after her and found her sitting on one of the sofas in the living room. 

"You've got really long hair," Richard complemented. 

"Oh yes I know," she replied without looking up. 

"Why do you seem to be mad at me lately for no reason?" Richard asked.

"Who says I'm angry at you?"

"Well, your face says so," Richard replied. "Don't you want me to talk to your friend?" Richard asked, and she shook her head.

"Can I know why?" Richard asked.

She suddenly started laughing. 

"I can't believe you fell for it," she said after she stopped laughing.

"I'm relieved that you are not really angry," Richard said.

"My mum has traveled, are you aware of that?" she asked.

"No I'm not. Do you mean she traveled and left you alone in this house?" Richard asked.

"Yes of course," Rebecca responded.