chapter 9

The next day, Richard was sitting in the lecture theater waiting for his lecturer to come. He had been sitting there for the past hour going through his book. At about 10 am, the rest of the students started rushing into the lecture theater indicating the arrival of the lecturer. He gathered all the books he was reading and put them in his backpack that was beside him. When he looked up, he unexpectedly saw Janet.

The moment he saw her, he felt so excited. He kept looking at her and couldn't take his eyes off her. More than ever, he wanted to speak to her. When she got close to him, she smiled at him and waved. Richard was so happy and didn't know how he could respond to her. She passed him and proceeded to sit at the extreme of the hall.

Throughout the lecture, he kept turning back to look at her to the extent that the lecturer noticed him.

"Is there anything at the back that we should be aware of?" The lecturer asked as he walked to Richard who was sitting in the front row.

"No, sir," Richard smiled.

"Pleased concentrate, this is unlike you," the lecturer said and turned and walked back to the stage and continued his lecture.

After the lecture was over, all the students started leaving the lecture theater. Richard was sitting in the front waiting for Janet . She was united with her friends and they talked and laughed as they walked to leave the hall. When they got to where Richard was, he stood up and approached them.

"Hey Janet ," Richard said calmly.

"Hey Richard, give me a minute," she replied and they proceeded to a guy behind Richard and started talking to him.

Janet and her friends laughed as he talked to them. Even though Richard was dying to talk to her, he instantly felt that she needed to be left alone. He proceeded to his backpack and took it and headed out of the lecture theater. Even though he put on a brave face, he was deeply hurt. He thought the night they shared meant something to her, but the way she acted made him think otherwise.

As he was about to leave their faculty, he heard someone calling him. He turned and noticed that it was Janet . He stopped walking and waited for her and her friends to get where he was.

"You guys should go ahead first," Janet said to her friends.

"Alright, you should meet us at the cafe when you are done," one of the girls said, and they walked away.

"So, how are you doing?" she asked Richard.

"I am doing well I guess," Richard responded.

"What's with the long face? Is something wrong?" she asked when she noticed no sign of smile on his face.

"Nothing is wrong, I was told that I'm more good looking like that," Richard replied.

"Whoever the hell told you that is a terrible liar," Janet laughed.

When Richard saw her laughing, it instantly cheered him.

"Oh really? I bet you don't want to admit to the fact that I am handsome like that," Richard smiled.

"Alright make that face again let me take your photo. You will be a better judge to yourself more than anyone," Janet said as she brought out her phone.

"That won't be necessary," Richard laughed.

"By the way, why didn't I see you yesterday?" Richard continued by asking.

"I caught a terrible cold from the previous rain," Janet responded.

"Oh that's bad, I hope you are feeling better now?" Richard asked.