chapter 33

Richard became totally disoriented after seeing Rebecca. More than ever, he regretted leaving. He remembered the good times they used to have and how happy she used to be when she saw him. But now, he is just trash in her eyes. He became silent and couldn't think about anything but her.

They boarded a taxi and were on their way to the university. Richard leaned his head against the car and was lost in his thoughts, while Achuba kept talking about how happy he was to have finally talked to Tina. Thomas was the only person talking back.
"Hey Richard, what's the matter?" Achuba asked when he noticed his silence.
"Is nothing, I just feel like going mute for some minutes," Richard answered.
"So, how many girlfriends do you have?" Thomas asked.

"I have none," Richard replied.
"That's a lie, do you expect us to believe this shallow lie?" They both laughed.
"For the past five years, I haven't been myself," Richard replied with his head still leaning on the car.
"Is something wrong?" Achuba asked, noticing Richard's reaction.
"It's nothing, I'm just not alive," Richard uttered.
"Please do tell us what's bothering you," Thomas insisted.

They pressured him for minutes, but Richard refused to tell them what's wrong to the extent that left him alone. They arrived at the university at about 7:30 pm. As they were heading to their hostel, Thomas received a call from him asking him to go meet her.

"Do you know where the female hostel is?" Thomas asked Achuba.
"Well, it is quite far from here, it is at the extreme end of the university," Achuba explained.
"Do you suggest we take a taxi there?" Thomas asked.
"We will surely get tired by the time we reach there, but at least you will take a stroll around the university," Achuba replied.
"What do you say Richard. Do we walk there or take a taxi?" Thomas asked Richard.

Richard thought about it for a while. He thought he can be relieved of his pain if he is occupied having fun.
"I think walking there will be fun," Richard replied.
"That's great," Thomas said and they started walking. They explored the university as they walked. When they come across a fine building, Achuba will tell them more about it.

After minutes of walking, they came across the university staff quarters. It was much bigger than the one Richard had previously seen. There was a very big garden just before the staff quarters. There were many trees of a variety of fruits planted in rows. There was a stream that divided the university from the staff quarters. There was a bridge at the end of the garden. He was suddenly reminded of the garden where he usually sits and studies in his former school. He remembered the second time he saw Rebecca walking close to the garden and how beautiful she looked. His happiness faded as soon as he remembered how she treated him and how happy he saw her with the senator.

There were some few students around the stream who were on some kind of romantic date.
"I guess you will be bringing Tina here soon," Thomas said to Achuba.
"I hope so," Achuba replied after he had stopped laughing.
"I heard that there is a waterfall behind those trees over there," Achuba continued and pointed in the direction of the trees.
"Wow! Can we go and take a look?" Thomas asked.
"Don't you see that there is no lightning around there? Don't you think it will be dangerous?" Richard asked.
"Relax Richard, this is not a jungle," Achuba replied.

"You will make a terrible hunter if you were born in the ancient days," Thomas laughed.
"Thank God I was not born in the ancient days," Richard laughed.

They walked over the bridge to the staff quarters. The houses were all similar with even the same flowers and trees planted around them. They looked so similar that one cannot tell them apart. They were arranged in rows with much space between them.
"Wow! Do the occupants of these houses tell which one is their house?" Thomas asked confusingly.
"I guess the houses are numbered, besides, they can't be 100% similar. There has to be some differences that they can use to know which one is their house," Richard explained.
"Can you tell me the difference between those two houses?" Thomas requested.
"Is pretty obvious, the tree in the first house is taller and thinner, while the one in the second house is shorter with more branches," Richard explained.
"Wow! You are actually right," Thomas smiled after noting their differences.