chapter 28

About 2 months later, Richard has gotten much better and Mama Ruth had worked really hard to get him a work in a poultry farm as a cleaner. He usually sleeps with the eldest son of the family and one of the twins in the living room. The eldest usually comes home very late at night after everyone has slept. He usually carries a weapon with him. For that reason, Richard was scared of talking to him.

Around 5 am, Richard was woken by Ruth's mother as usual. She also wakes Ruth and her two twin brothers, while the rest of the family are left sleeping. Mama Ruth is a well devoted Christian, she usually wakes them up to pray.

After they were done praying, one of the twins started sweeping the house, while the other twin took out the dirty plates and dishes that were kept in the corner of the living room and started washing them outside. Their mother measured some beans in a plastic bowl and washed them. After she was done washing it, she put it in a transparent container and gave it to Ruth to take it for grinding.

They usually take their food for grinding to a house that was located some few streets from them. The grinding usually takes place with the help of a grinding engine. Ruth carried the container on her head and head out.
"Let's go together," Richard said as he went after her.
"Okay," Ruth said as she stopped walking, waiting for him to cover up the distance between them.

They started walking together as soon as he got to her position. She let go of the container on her head without holding it. It balanced so well on her head without showing any sign of falling.
"How do you manage to do that?" Richard asked Ruth.
"Do what?" She asked as she turned to look at him.
"Letting go of things on your head without holding them," Richard explained. "Well it's so simple," she giggled.
"Who taught you how to do it?" Richard asked.
"Nobody," she responded.
"Do you mean you taught yourself?" He inquired. "Absolutely," she smiled. "That's great, you look smarter than most kids of your age," Richard smiled.
"Of course," she laughed.

"So, what do you want to be in the future?" Richard asked.
"I don't really know," she replied.
"Haven't you ever wished to be like one of the adults you have met?"
"I would like to be like my teacher,"
"Why do you want to be like your teacher?" Richard asked.

"Because she is so nice and gives us sweets. But if you make her angry, she really knows how to deal with you," she explained. And from that moment, she continued to talk until their arrival at the place.

When they arrived there, the found a queue of containers brought by other kids. The kids were playing with one another close to some banana trees. When it is time for one of them, the person Will run to the engine and his or her item will be grinded. Ruth placed her container in the queue and wanted to join the other kids in the game when Richard held her hand.
"We are going now," he said.
"Really?" She asked confusingly.
"Yes we are," he replied. He took her container to the front of the queue.
"Hey, it's my turn," the little person who was on the line said.
"Sorry, we are in a hurry," Richard smiled.

After their beans were grinded they headed home.
"Wow! You are home so early today, what happened?" Her mother asked.
"I was helped by Richard, that's why I arrived on time,"
"That's really nice,"
"Yes," Ruth replied.
"Go and get ready for school," her mother instructed.
"Okay mum," she said as she ran to go and take the bucket.

Her mother took the beans paste they grinded to a small kitchen that was outside the building. The kitchen was built of zinc metal sheets. At around 7 am, mama Ruth had finished preparing some Akara  (friend beans past) for them with some porridge. After Ruth and her brother ate, they left for school.

At around 8 am, Mama Ruth and Richard set out to the poultry farm. They took a taxi out of the slum to the centre of the city. They deviated from the highway and took a slim road that led them to a very big street. The street was very quiet and was made up of huge buildings. Their car moved to the end of the street before arriving at the end of the street. Finally, the poultry farm was located there. It was a very huge building fenced with a wire. One can see everything in the farm because of the wire fence.

They walked to the gate of the fence and it was opened for them. As soon as they arrived, they were approached by an old man.
"Good morning, Sir," Mama Ruth greeted him.
"Good morning, how is your family?" He asked.
"They are okay,".
"Is this the boy you've been telling me about?"
"Yes he is," replied Mama Ruth.
"The poultry farm owner had a fight with the man securing the farm, can work as both a cleaner and a guard?" The old man asked.
"Your salary is going to be doubled," the old man continued.

Richard became extremely happy because he found it extremely difficult to live with Ruth's family. But now that he will start working as a guard, he can find a place to sleep.
"I would love to accept your offer," Richard smiled.
"That's nice, you will be provided with food three times a day from the madam's house, you don't have to worry about food, just take care of her animals,".
"That will be really nice," Richard smiled.
"Okay, now that you've known each other, let me go because my restaurant," Mama Ruth said.

Richard was taken around the farm and shown how each system works. The farm turned out to be bigger than he was expecting. It was very green with flowers at almost every corner. They arrived a huge 3 storey. The first ground floor was for egg laying chickens. Richard was told that the chickens produce many eggs that are distributed throughout the city for sale every day. The second floor was for broilers. The highest part was for incubation and growing of young chicks.

There was another a huge single floored building that was adjacent to the storey building. Only Turkeys were reared there.
"I'm going to be the only one sweeping all these places?" Richard asked shockingly.
"No, there are about 10 workers here, you are the 11th," the old man laughed.
"Thank God," Richard laughed.

He took Richard to a small room where he will be sleeping in the night. It was a tiny room with a small ceiling fan running slowly above it.
"I will be leaving now, call me if you need anything," the man announced.
"Okay, I will," he replied.