chapter 20

A week later, Rebecca's inter-house sports day arrived. She woke up at 5 am feeling so excited and nervous at the same time. She went to her bathroom and brushed her teeth before coming back to her room. She sat by her bed imagining what she would expect. 

She thought about Richard and how he will be impressed if she wins the 100 meter race. She had been the best racer so far, but she still doubted herself. About an hour later, she stood up and went to the kitchen to start preparing breakfast. She suddenly remembered that her mother had bought some bread the previous night. She put some water for tea on the stove and walked to the living room.

She turned on the TV and started watching it to kill some time. 10 minutes later, she went back to the kitchen and found the water already boiling. She prepared some tea and put it in a red flask. She then fried some eggs and put them in an insulated container. 

After she was done, she went to her bathroom and took a bath. She then dressed in her sportswear which was a red polo shirt, a white skirt that was slightly above her knees, and a pair of red sneakers. She went to the dining room and had breakfast. By the time she was done, it was already 7 am. She went to her mother's room and woke her. 

"Good morning mum," Rebecca greeted her mother.

"Good morning, how are you?" her mother asked as she sat on her bed. 

"I'm fine," Rebecca replied.

"I can see that you are ready for your inter-house sport," her mother observed. 

"Yes I am," Rebecca smiled. 

"What's the time now?"

"It is 7 o'clock."

"By what time are you starting the inter house sports? Isn't it too early for you to go by this time?" her mother asked.

"Actually, we are going to practice more for our march past parade before the inter-house starts by 9 O'clock," Rebecca explained.

"I wish you good luck then," Her mother replied.

"Will you be attending?" Rebecca asked.

"Actually, I have organized a lecture with some of my students," Her mother replied. 

"Please mum, you have never seen me participating in any inter-house sport," Rebecca begged. 

"I also wish I could attend it, but I have already made a promise to the students. They will think of me as an irresponsible person if I don't go. Please do understand my situation," Prof. Grace said at a stretch. 

Rebecca angrily walked out of her mother's room and went to the living room. She felt like crying at that time, but she tried and controlled herself. 

She had a feeling that Richard will also not attend the inter-house sport. She quickly ran back to her mother's room and asked her for his number. 

"What are you going to do with his number?" her mother asked.

"I want to remind him about attending my inter-house sport," Rebecca responded. 

"You better not waste your time; I will also be having a class with his department. And we will have a test at the end of the lecture," her mother explained.

"What? Rebecca exclaimed.

"Yes, you heard me," her mother replied. Rebecca angrily left her room. At that moment, she regretted not having Richard's phone number. She would have called him to find out if what her mother was telling is true. But somehow, she had confidence that he would come.