chapter 30

It was Monday morning. Rebecca was sleeping on her huge bed forgetting completely about going to school. Her mother was transferred to University of Port Harcourt four years ago. She had been studying medicine and surgery for the past 3 years. It was a very special day, because it was the beginning of a new session for her as a 400 level student. It was also a special day because her mother will assume duty as the new vice chancellor of the universe.

"Wake up sleepy head, did you forget that you are taking Emmanuel to school today?" Her mother said as she walked into her room.
"Oh, please mom, I slept very late last night," Rebecca said as she rolled over to the other side of the bed. It was a very big bed, enough to hold five people. Opposite to the bed was a dressing mirror attached to a white drawer. In the drawer were all sorts of makeup kits. Beside the mirror was a closet with all sorts of clothes and shoes. And on the floor was a very soft blue carpet.

"You even forget to turn off your TV," Prof. Grace said as she proceeded to turn off the TV that was a few inches beside the bed.
"Please wake up and take Emmanuel to school, he complained to me about his teachers," Prof Grace added.
"Please mom, you know Emmanuel is a very stubborn boy, he might lie to you just because he wants to change school for him," she said while still in her blanket. "Please wake up Rebecca," her mother pleaded.

Rebecca unfolded herself from the thick blanket she used in covering herself.
"Why did you leave the AC on when you know you are feeling cold?" Her mother asked.
"I just love covering myself in this blanket," Rebecca smiled.
"Okay, I will be leaving for the office now, call me if you need anything," her mother replied and walked out of the room. Rebecca finally stood up and folded her blanket revealing her white bed sheet. She was wearing a long night gown that was almost transparent.
She took a towel and walked into her bathroom that was attached to her room. She brushed her teeth before proceeding to take a shower. About 30 minutes later, she was done showering. She came back to her room and spent another 30 minutes applying makeup and getting dressed. She wore a white dress that was slightly above her knee and a white high heel. She took a white bag and put all the items she required in it before walking out of the room.

"Are you eating breakfast before you leave?" Asked the maid of the house when Rebecca arrived into the living room.
"No I don't think so," Rebecca replied. Suddenly, her phone started ringing. She opened the bag and discovered that it was one of her course mates called Mary.
Rebecca: I'm listening
Mary: Did you forget that today is the beginning of a new semester?
Rebecca: really? Are you sure you are calling the right number? Because I don't even know a semester means
Mary: Get your ass down here Rebecca, we all miss you.
Rebecca: I will be on my way soon.

"Woman, I'm late for school," Emmanuel said. He was sitting on a sofa watching a movie while he was waiting for Rebecca with his uniform on.
"Oh, since when did you become serious about school? You know if it weren't for mom, I won't waste my time driving you to school," Rebecca replied.
"You don't even look pretty, you look like a beast," Emmanuel said.
"At least, I'm ten times more good looking than someone," she replied as she headed out of the living room. "Are you going to keep sitting there or I will go and leave you," Rebecca said.

Rebecca walked out to the compound of the house within the fence. The fence of the house was moderately tall with electric wires above it. At the far extreme of the compound, was a small quarter that was built for guests. There was a very huge tree above the quarter with flowers surrounding it. The floor of the compound was covered with brown interlocks.

Rebecca walked to her car that was parked in the parking shade opposite to the house. It was an expensive black Mercedes Benz that her mother bought her some few months ago. She entered the car and started the engine while Emmanuel ran to the passenger and sat behind her. The gate of the house was opened for her by the security guard of the house. She drove out of the house and headed out of the staff quarters of the university.