chapter 43

One week later, Richard finally got discharged from the hospital. Rebecca suggested that he should stay with his sister in her place until he's fully recovered. The doctor gave him the final check up and he was advised on things to do to improve his health. At around 10 am, Richard was ready to leave the hospital. Thomas and Achuba helped Richard to walk to Rebecca's car that was parked outside while Susan and Rebecca walked behind them.

Rebecca quickly walked to the car and had the car opened for them. Richard, Thomas and Achuba sat at the back, while Rebecca and Susan sat in the front. Rebecca started the engine and started driving after everyone had sat down.

"So, doesn't that mean his shooter has gone free without getting arrested?" Susan questioned.
"Well, the shooter was not identified that's the police couldn't arrest anybody," Achuba explained.
"That's really annoying. That means he could have died in vain," Susan said angrily.

"Why would anyone try to kill him in the first place?" Thomas questioned.
"Perhaps, he has been mistaken for another person," Achuba replied.
"No, I think it was my ex that tried to kill him," Rebecca replied.
"Really?" Everyone in the car asked surprisingly.

"I think he is the one because Richard was short on the day I announced to him that our relationship is over. My mom has warned me about how dangerous he could be, but I was blinded during our relationship," Rebecca announced.
"Is that so? Then why don't we sue him?" Susan asked.

"Is not that easy you know. I talked to my mother's lawyer about it but he said I don't have any solid evidence to prove my point. Had it been the shooter who was identified, it could have been easier," Rebecca explained.
"Let's forget about everything now that I'm alive and healthy," Richard finally spoke.
"No I don't think so, what if he tries to kill you again?" Rebecca asked.
"Well, there is nothing we can do about it," Richard replied.

They arrived at Prof. Grace's house a few minutes later. The gate was opened for them and Rebecca drove into the house. After the car came to halt, Achuba helped Richard to get down from the car.
"Let me lead you to his room," Rebecca said as she walked in the direction of the guest quarter.

"Oh that will be helpful," Achuba replied. Richard and Achuba walked gently to guest rooms that were located behind a small flower garden leaving behind Susan and Thomas.

Thomas looked up into her eyes and she looked extremely beautiful in the red dress she was wearing. His heart pounded faster as she walked closer to him.
"Why didn't you call me after I gave you my number?" She asked.
"I'm sorry, I was very busy," Thomas replied.

"Oh I see," she said and headed towards where Richard was taken.
"Look I'm really not calling you," he tried to apologize.
"No, you don't have to apologize," she responded without even looking back. That was when he realized he gave the wrong excuse.

Before he caught up with her, she had already gotten to the room.
"We will go to the hostel and get his stuff," Achuba announced as soon as Susan walked in.
"Thank you," Richard said.
"No problem, we'll be back soon," Achuba said and walked out.

"What would you like to eat?" Rebecca asked as she sat beside Richard.
"Nothing, I'm satisfied just by looking at you," Richard replied.
"That's pretty big lie you are saying," Rebecca responded.
"Do I look like I'm lying?" Richard asked, turning back to Susan who was standing by the door.
"You look like a fabulous liar," she smiled.
"Oh so you are even supporting her because she is a girl like you," Richard said with his eyes widely opened.

Before any of them could talk, one of the security guards of the house interrupted.
"The senator is here," he announced.
"You go and tell him that I'm not ready to see him, he should leave," Rebecca replied.
"I'm sorry Ma'am, I don't think I'll be able to say this to the senator," the security guard replied.