chapter 21

Richard went back to his room and lay on his bed. He couldn’t stop thinking about Rebecca. It was obviously clear to him that Rebecca really loved him. But then, she was more like a desire he Couldn't have. He never really understood what love was till he met her. Despite how he valued his education, he sacrificed his continuous assessment just because he was dying to see her. And what worried him most was the fact that he doesn’t have anybody to share his story with, not even Paul.

It was an emotion deep inside him inside that he wished he could tell someone. He lay for hours not knowing what to do. Suddenly, Paul walked into his room and found him. 

“Why didn’t you write the test?” Paul asked as he walked to him. 

“Because I didn’t want to,” Richard replied. 

“I thought I used to be the crazy one, but I was wrong,” Paul said. 

“You can say anything you want,” Richard replied. 

“Richard, do tell me what’s wrong with you. I have never seen you acting this strange before,” Paul requested as he sat down beside Richard. “It is obviously clear that you are in worry, please tell me what’s wrong,” he insisted. 

Richard sat up and looked Paul in the eye. “You will think I am crazy if I tell you,” Richard announced. 

“I won’t think so, just tell me,” Paul insisted.

“I really love her, and I can’t help it,” Richard announced.

“And who could that person be?” Paul asked. 

“I wished I could stop falling for her, but she is now in every one of my thoughts. I see her all day long, even when I am sleeping. My feeling for her is just driving crazy as every second passes by,” Richard explained. 

“Just tell me who this girl is,” Paul requested.

 “It's Rebecca, Prof. Grace’s daughter,” Richard responded.

“Oh my God Richard, are you in a relationship with her right now?” Paul asked.

“Not really, I couldn’t bring myself together to tell her,” Richard replied. 

“It should remain like this. Think of how her mother will react if she finds out. Think of how Janet  will react. She loves you more than anything in this world. Have you forgotten that she has a heart problem? Think of what will happen if you break her heart? She is already in pain with the less care you showed to her recently,” Paul explained.

“That’s why I feel like my head will explode because all these thoughts are going on in my head,” Richard explained. 

“Just think it through, sometimes following your desire will lead to your destruction,” Paul advised.

***

Rebecca was lying on the sofa in the living room when her mother came back. Rebecca was silent and didn’t even care to say hi to her mother. 

“How was the inter house sport?” Her mother asked, but Rebecca remained silent without replying. 

“Hey, I am talking to you,” Her mother repeated.

“It was terrible,” Rebecca replied reluctantly.

“Is something wrong with you?” Her mother asked. 

“Everything is wrong with me,” Rebecca replied. 

“Are you talking to me like this right now?” Her mother cautioned.