Chapter 3

ARTHUR LEYWIN POV:
Stepping into the relic portal created by the compass, we were met with a sharp, ringing sound.

My body arched forward due to the sudden assault of the sound against my eardrums. Blood seeped out of my ears, while aether started to heal the wounds almost instantly.

I let out a grunt before straightening my posture, promptly imbuing aether around my ears, to shield it from any further damage.

I turned to my side to see Caera in her knees, her hands clutched against her ears, with eyes shut tightly and her complexion pale and sweating in pain. "Damn it." I cursed out loud, but I couldn't hear my own voice through the menacing sound.

The high pitch noise reverberated throughout the entire chasm that we were standing on. I spun around my heels, to identify the source of this gut-wrenching sound, but it was of no use.

The sound seems to be echoing throughout the entire fissure, making it harder to identify the source.

'Regis!' I yelled in my mind, hoping that he would hear my call. 'On it, Chief!', his voice echoed back through our mental connection.

Regis's wolf form jumped out of my body, running towards the cracks on the sides of the rocky surface to search for the source.

I bent down to see how Caera is doing. Bleeding had stopped seeping from her ears, and her face relaxed a bit. 'She's using mana to shield her ears', I thought. She hastily stood back on her feet before dusting off her clothes, taking out her blade.

I gestured to her, to make sure that she's alright. She nodded hastily, her confused gaze darted around the walls of the rocky surfaces, before settling on the surface above.

We were standing at the base of a large chasm, stretching out on two directions endlessly till our eyes can see.

The only source of light seeped through the large cracks on the top. The sky radiated a pinkish hue, which was reflected by the- odd looking- 'glittering stones', embedded on the rocky surfaces at random positions.

'Did you find anything?' I asked my companion. I could feel the confusion seeping out of our mental connection. He didn't reply... 'Regis! Talk to m-' my message was cut short by a huge explosion that resounded from the surface above our heads.

The earth shook as the effects of explosion reached the chasm. It was followed by an eerie silence, as the echoing sound had abruptly stopped, for the first time since we reached this region.

Before I could let out a sigh of relief, another explosion resounded, this one much louder than previous.

"G-Grey! Look-" I heard Caera's voice as she gestured me to look at the surface above us. I followed her direction to see huge clouds of brown smoke flowing across the sky.

The momentary silence was broken by a series of clanging noises that reverberated from the surface where the brown smoke was emanating from. A series of screeching sounds followed by loud bangs which shook the entire earth around us.

An alarm rang through my mind, making me look around for the source of such an unsettling feeling.

"G-Grey!" Caera shouted as I saw her figure jumping to me, where I stood. I felt my arms being tugged, as I noticed Caera pulling me off to the side.

Large boulders started falling from the surface above us, covering the entire chasm in dust and debris.

Pulling Caera closer to me, I wrapped my arms around her waist. Activating my God rune, I let my eyes relax to focus on the aethric pathways. "Grey-y! Move-!" Caera shouted next to my ears, breaking my concentration. I immediately jumped away, with Caera in my hands, from the position I was standing in where a large boulder had fallen seconds after I reacted.