Chapter 23

[A few weeks later]

CAERA DENOIR POV:

"Good morning Assistant Caera" some of the students greeted me while I walked past the long line waiting to enter the Relictombs portal.

A few weeks had passed since I had taken my position as Grey's assistant. It wasn't difficult to do so, since my adoptive parents were onboard with the intention of keeping me closer to Grey...at least till the Victoriad event.

Today, we were on a school trip that will finally allow the students to enter the Relictombs and experience it firsthand. Unlike the ascenders who enter the portal, only to be taken to random zones, this school trip will be fully monitored and kept in check, thanks to the special relic that allows us to choose the less dangerous and already explored zone, which are usually reserved for training.

Quickening my pace, I walked towards the far end of the line. My eyes focused on the professor in-charge, standing near the portal, patiently, with his arms crossed at his back.

Grey.

Just as I reached, Grey turned his head towards my direction. Our eyes met only for a short while, but...he quickly averted his gaze, uncomfortably, to avoid any eye contact.

I tried to keep my face impassive, despite the pain I felt at seeing his actions. He must be thinking that I would get used to this treatment...but, I wasn't so sure about that. I sighed in exasperation.

Grey has been giving me the cold shoulder, ever since that day...the day we almost—

My thoughts were interrupted when the portal in-charge came into view. "Identification, please." She asked Grey first, and then turned towards me. Taking out my ascender ID, I gave it to the uniformed woman, while Grey followed.

The uniformed women checked our IDs before handing it back. I reached to take it while Grey did the same, our hands touched...before Grey pulled back with a jerk. "S-Sorry. Please go ahead." He said, looking flustered.

I glared at the man, taken aback by his reaction. What's with treating me like some stranger?! I questioned inwardly. Opening my mouth, I was about to ask him the same, while a voice interrupted. "Wait! Are you going to leave without me!?"

Turning around, my eyebrows crunched in a frown, seeing a blonde haired woman, dressed in the Central Academy's clothing as she hastily approached us. Her smile was bright, despite the beads of sweat rolling down her tired face.

Before I could question her unexpected presence, Grey spoke up from my side. "Abby, what are you doing here?"

Professor Abby Redcliff, looked at Grey and me with a sheepish smile. "I volunteered to assist your class since it's not everyday students get to enter the Relictombs." She said, shaking her head in amusement. "But why am I surprised? Your class has gained a lot of attention ever since the bestowment ceremony... You really are a lucky charm, Grey. What more can you do?" She said with a grin, twirling her hair and eyeing the professor, while she completely ignored me.

"Here. Take my ID" she walked to the uniformed guard and handed over her ID. After checking the lists, and a final head count of the students, we started to move inside the portal.

"Let's go, Grey, Caera." Abby spoke in a cheery tone as she gestured the students to follow. "Do you mind?" She asked Grey, who was silently walking a few paces ahead of me as she grabbed his hand and—interlocked hers with his.

Grey's eyebrows twitched slightly, mirroring mine...but he kept his face blank, and walked alongside Abby. I followed them, while an uneasy feeling clawed at my insides. No, I am not jealous! I repeated those words inside my head.