Chapter 14

CAERA DENOIR POV:

I stood against the wall of the classroom, absentmindedly staring at the students performing their class routine. My mind was in a mess as several conflicting emotions raged a war against each other, eating away the peace that I had built up in the past few months.

Lenora's words echoed through my mind, threatening to break everything that I have been working...building—with Grey.

'...this is for blood'. "Screw the blood!"

My hands tightly clutched the pendant Grey had given me as I reassured myself that I will do whatever is in my power to keep Grey safe; to keep him by my side.

Suddenly, a voice rung out, snapping me out of my emotional turmoil. Kayden had spoken from the classroom; being his assistant, I was about to react but...I realised that he wasn't calling out to me. No, he wasn't even looking at me.

He was looking outside the classroom, to which I followed his gaze.

Just as I did that...my heart skipped a beat at that sight, as a silent gasp escaped my open mouth.

My eyes widened and my face flushed off colour. A high pitch voice shot out of my mouth, only for me to regret it immediately. "G-Grey? W-What are you doing here?!" I asked as I stared fixedly at his face, ignoring my own blunder.

I was so tempted to glance over his form; his usual white tunic clung to him like a second skin, while the curtain of blond hair looked messy. His brows were slightly furrowed, as he had the face he usually did when he was talking to Regis mentally.

'What happened to him?' I wondered. 'He's supposed to be in his class.'

Soon, his golden eyes turned to me as his face visible relaxed; and I swear in the sovereign's name that his skin gained a bit of colour. My breathing stopped for a good second just as a smile formed on his lips.

It was rare to catch him smiling, so I had always... My thoughts trailed off as a figure shot past me towards Grey.

"Hey, Grey! This is a surprise, for you to visit me that too during the class hours." Kayden said, his voice filled with glee as if he was talking to a lifelong friend. 'How I forget that they have already met...', I thought inwardly. Grey turned his gaze to meet Kayden's as he spoke. "Yes Kayden, and I'm sorry to bother you—" Kayden cut him off before he could finish.

"Don't fret it. What can I do for you? Is this about the secret meeting that I wanted to attend. Are you here to invite me?" Kayden laughed. Grey's lips curved up in an amusing smirk, as he glanced towards my side. I kept my eyes fixed on his, more curious about this 'secret meeting' that Kayden was referring to.

Grey replied back with his usual tone. "Of course not. Because there isn't any meeting to attend to. I'm here to see Caera. If its okay with you, can I borrow her?" Kayden exclaimed in surprise, but he kept his cheerful tone. "Right. No, not at all. Class is about to end anyway. So, get going, you two." He turned his gaze to me, his face flashing a teasing smirk.

Ignoring him, I watched Grey in surprise as he walked towards me. 'Why does he want to see me now? Did he figure it out?', my heart fluttered as millions of thoughts buzzed through my spinning mind. But everything froze in an instant as my focus turned to Grey...his smiling face. It was an awkward smile...one you would flash when you've done or seen something embarrassing. Although which one? I didn't know...

"Hey Caera, I-I need to talk to you." He said with a tone; the one that he uses when something is bothering him. I gave him a stiff nod in return, as my mind raced through all the possible things that he would want to talk to me now.