Chapter 18

CAERA DENOIR POV:

My eyes kept glancing over at the Djinn child who Grey had managed to save from the horde of creatures.

I couldn't help but do so, because, never in my wildest imaginations, had I thought I would have an opportunity such as this. But, more importantly, the reason I couldn't take my eyes off of the child was because...of the way he looked—it was very unusual.

Taking another glance at him, I noticed his—odd—features.

Purple hair and skin. He sure looked similar to the Djinn remnant—the woman—that Grey and I had met once. But, a large wound that ran from his chest to his torso, and lack of any blood seeping out from it; coupled with his obvious lack of emotions to the pain that should have been there...it was very off-putting and made me question whether he was really a human.

Ever since he was rescued, the child hasn't spoken a single word; though, he was surprised at first when he saw us, yet he seemed to trust us? Or, trust Grey?

It was odd.

What's more odd is that, he has been clinging on to Grey, seemingly ignoring my presence. I wasn't bothered by it, of-course, since he is only a child. But Grey, who had caught the child's attention, was somehow able to communicate with him. I was surprised at that, but I soon got an answer as to how.

Aether...

Minutes passed as Grey and the child, who apparently is named Ion, had a long 'mental' conversation.

We found that the "invisible" attack made on Grey was something caused by the child, Ion due to the obvious injury on his body. It was unbelievable to hear that statement given how powerful Grey is. But, he seems to accept it, so I didn't question further about it.

Soon after that, we had started moving, while Grey asked Regis to look after the child; but the wolf kept rambling and complaining about task given to him by his master.

"Hey kid, listen up. I ain't your ride, and you ain't my princess. So quit grabbing on to my horns before I burn those tiny hands of yours!" Regis grumbled at Ion, who was silently riding the shadow wolf.

My eyes turned towards Grey, who was ignoring Regis's shouts and plea's as he strolled purposely towards somewhere. He hadn't shared anything with me, though I am not sure what information he had received. I was curious.

"Grey, what was he saying? And where are we going?" I asked in anticipation, hoping he would share the information with me.

He slowed down his footsteps and slightly tilted his head to the side. Taking a moment to probably compose his thoughts, he spoke up. "Don't worry about it." He paused and turned to look at the child, Ion. "We'll be there soon."

I simply nodded at his cryptic words, hoping we would get wherever we are going, soon. To say that I was excited, would be an understatement. I have always loved going on ascents, thanks to my late brother Sevren.

Some would say that I have a taste of addiction to the Relictombs.

But, meeting Grey. And then this, I felt as if this was the most exciting moment of my life.

The ancient mages have always been an enigma, even in the lands ruled by the Gods themselves. Such was the mystery and secrecy behind the ancient mages and their Relictombs.

I must be one of the lucky few, if not one of the first two, to enter a zone that is supposedly—no, definitely—an ancient ruin, of the ancient mages.

Shaking away those thrilling thoughts, I noticed that Grey had stopped walking.

I followed his gaze to look at the lonely—building, or some sort of a cave formation—that stood at the heart of the barren lands, outside the city we had teleported into.