Chapter 26

ARTHUR LEYWIN POV:

'—your past...doesn't truly matter—to me now, you're perfect...nothing will ever change that'

Caera's words echoed in my mind, without an end. Every other thought or action I performed seemed...irrelevant, insignificant. Only her voice imminent.

"Grey". Suddenly, a voice cut through like a bolt of thunder, crashing and clearing away my clouded mind...shaking me out of my mental delirium.

I looked up at the man who had spoken. Corbett Denoir. "Y-Yes. You were saying?" I replied, clearing my throat and bringing my focus back to the matter at hand.

His chestnut eyes studied me closely, as he sat behind the table in his study room. Lenora was standing gracefully behind him, giving us a well-practiced smile. And, Caera sat next to me in silence, looking at her adoptive parents with an indiscernible look.

Corbett cleared his throat, grabbing back our attention. "As we were discussing about yours and Caera's academic affairs... I must ask you this, Grey". His sharp gaze turning thoughtful and serious. "What are your plans for the future? Surely, you seem to have the desire to make a name for yourself. Perhaps a place amongst the 'High Society', otherwise, I see no reason for you to throw yourself into the flaming pit". He said with a condescending tone.

I merely smirked at his not-so-polite speech. "You must be talking about my upcoming challenge at the Victoriad. Well, as you've already been informed by Caera, I see no reasons for—"

Before I could finish saying my bit, Corbett cut me off by lifting his hand up. "Speaking as the highlord of one of the most influential highbloods on the continent, let me give you a friendly warning, Grey: You're trying to enter the Serpent's Lair, unknown of its power and the danger it possess. And, if you think you can walk out with your life unscathed, you must either be delusional, or simply naive".

My eyes sharpened at his words, as I pondered deeply. It's natural for everyone to think this way, I knew that. They don't know about the abilities that I possess. Nevertheless, I was confused at why the Denoirs would care? Clearing my head, I spoke with a tone that carried a certain weight to it. "With all due respect, Corbett, why do you care about what I do? I came here out of respect—to show my gratitude for your help—and for Caera".

It wasn't a lie. His timely assistance in taking care of the Blood Grandbhel had been of immense help. It also made sure that my bait for luring Nico to the Victoriad had been set.

Shaking myself out of that thought, I looked back at the highlord in front of me. He let out a cough, while Lenora's perpetual smile, slightly faltered. "Yes. We are indeed aware of that situation. Which is the reason you and Caera have been summoned here". He stated as a matter-of-fact.

"What do you mean?" I asked, keeping my brows from furrowing. I was still confused, at why the Denoir's cared about my participation at the Event Victoriad, at my well-being nonetheless.

Corbett exchanged a look with his wife, before fixing his gaze back on me. "If power and money are what you seek, I shall give you both." He declared cooly.

I was taken aback by his words as confusion started to rise inside me. I wasn't sure where he was going with this, so I asked him the obvious question. "Oh really? And should I assume that you will be giving them to me as a token of goodwill? Without expecting anything in return?" I scoffed at the words that had left my mouth.

He held my gaze for a while, mulling over his next words. "Actually, yes and no." He replied, giving me a smile. Taking his wife's hand inside his, he looked at me with a look of resolution, before his voice rung. "Grey. How would you like to take our daughter's hand in marriage?" He finally asked.