Chapter 11

CAERA DENOIR POV:

My gaze lost focus as I stared out of the carriage window. The familiar landscape, nothing more than a constant reminder of my past.

The cold wind brushed against my face, giving me a sense of nostalgia, when Grey and I had travelled back that night from the Denoir Estate; the only good memory to remember, I thought.

I felt my hands reach out for Grey, to feel his warmth, hoping it would wash away the coldness enveloping me. But, Grey wasn't here, I realised.

I was alone.

Moving away from the window to keep the cold wind off my face, I sighed at the thought of the day ahead of me. Soon after Grey and I had returned from our recent ascent, meeting the dragons, which— still felt surreal to me and made me shiver, everytime I thought about it. I had gotten a letter from Lenora, my adoptive mother, for my presence back at the Denoir Estate immediately.

Knowing that my adoptive parents have once again arranged for another meeting with some young highblood, I felt a mixture of annoyance and helplessness fill my insides.

I took out a deep breath, resigning myself to rest till I reached the Estate.

After several minutes had passed in silence, the Denoir's Estate came into view as the carriage approached its exterior gates.

Getting out of the carriage, a familiar figure of an orange haired woman in her ashy-brown uniform, bearing the Highblood Denoir insignia walked out of the gates. "Lady Caera! Welcome back.", Nessa said with a warm smile.

I gave her a genuine smile in return, finding a small relief in spending the entire day among my adopted blood.

"Why am I being called back so soon?", I asked Nessa, while my smile slowly turned into a slight frown.

It has become a regular affair to visit my adoptive parents to give them personal reports on Grey, just as I was tasked to. It was also their way of showing that they still had the leash around me, and to keep me from further "putting myself and my blood in danger by going on ascents", as they said. Completely ignorant of the fact that I have been doing exactly just that.

"High lord and Lady Denoir had set up a meeting with the 'lord of highblood Rotchburns', few weeks ago. But since— your injury, the visit was delayed and then further, by your absence in the past few days." Nessa replied, as we walked into the Estate.

My frown deepened, while my mind went back to the familiar name of the highblood. 'He hasn't learned his lesson', I thought.

Nessa glanced at me with her hesitant eyes. "Lady Denoir has been worried about the nature of your injury. She is also suspicious of your recent whereabouts, given that no ascent had been registered under your name— both of it. She—"

"So what? Is this a punishment for getting injured?", I scoffed.

Nessa slumped her shoulders for a second, before recovering. "No, Lady Caera. The High lord and the lady have invited the 'lord of highblood Rotchburns' for another meeting— today. That is the rea—"

"Vritra's sake, is that all they think about?", I snapped, making Nessa flinch.

Knowing that I had no control over my own life, atleast not when I'm under my adoptive parent's roof, I calmed myself down, before approaching the Estate's main door.

Lenora was waiting for my arrival in the sitting room, her eyes following my every movement with her usual reproachful gaze.

It only lasted for a spilt second before her dazzling smile appeared back on her face. "Caera, my dear", she said as she walked towards me.