Chapter 9

'L-Lord Indrath's se-servant!?'

A cold shiver started to run down my spine as the old man's causal words echoed throughout my mind. I tried to replay his words several times, hoping that I had somehow misheard him.

'-rt?... Art?' Regis voice rang in my mind, bringing me out of my daze. 'What?' I screamed at the shadow wolf, unable to control my boiling frustration.

'Where the heck did you go just now?' Regis asked worriedly. My thoughts calmed down a little at his voice... and that's when I fully realised that there were two more people with me inside that room.

Ignoring Regis's words for the moment, I swiftly turned around to Caera— expecting to see her reaction at the sudden reveal of my identity. Would she cower in fear? Or would she try to attack me? How would she treat me if she comes to know that I'm not really a human and might be a dragon?... But none of those were seen in Caera's usually stoic face, except for confusion.

Her eyes were fixed on me; her gaze turning from confusion to anxious. I could only mirror her confusion, while my mind tried not to panic.

'What the hell are you talking about? What identity reveal?' Regis asked me after feeling my panic through our mental link.

My eyes shifted to him as I spoke inside my mind 'Did you not hear what that old man said just now? Wha-'

'No. I felt our mental link— go dark for a few seconds before it got linked back' Regis replied with suspicion.

"Do not worry my lord. I have put up a barrier for us to have a conversation. Your servants would not be able to hear us", the old man, Drakos, spoke again, gaining my attention.

Ignoring his remark of my companions, I turned around to look at the old man, who was still kowtowing with his face down, touching the carpeted floor.

Struggling to keep my face impassive, I spoke in a levelled tone that I could muster up at that situation. "Please, stand up— and what do you mean 'the servant of lord Indrath's'?"

The old man shifted uncomfortably before he stood up. His face had a smile while his eyes studied me closely. I noticed his eyebrows rising and furrowing several times as he whispered some inaudible words.

But he didn't answer.

I was losing my patience, but I couldn't do anything about that. Not when there were several unknown factors on play here. If what he said is true then he and his people must belong to the Indrath clan— which is impossible.

My thoughts trailed off when the old man finally spoke. "My lord, please forgive me, for I have been a bad host. Please come and sit down. We have much to discuss."

Sighing internally, I followed the old man, while gesturing my two companions to do the same. We entered the living room, which was decorated with what looked like carcasses of several beasts, placed like trophies that filled one side of the wall. While several gold trims ran along the white walls, accentuating the runes that they framed inside. Few couches were arranged overlooking the fireplace.

The old man— Drakos, pointed me to sit on a chaise lounge that sat at the middle of the room, while he stood on the opposite side of the large square table placed next to the lounge. Regis leaped and laid next to me, while Caera took a seat on the couch to my right.

Drakos looked at my companions incredulously. But he quickly recovered and resumed his smile. "Please sit down. And tell me everything" I said, pointing to the empty lounge chair opposite to me.

After a bit of hesitation, Drakos took the seat and let his gaze sweep over my companions. "My lord, should I lift up the barrier?"

I took a glance at my companions before falling into thoughts... Deciding that it's best to keep this one away, especially from Caera; atleast till I hear the full story from the old dragon. I shook my head.