Chapter 13

ARTHUR LEWYWIN POV:

"You know you look like a pregnant woman who's about to give birth." Regis said in a mocking tone. My head snapped to the corner where he was lying down, as his vulpine eyes met mine. "Stop scowling like that. It's very unsightly for a princess to make such faces", he quipped.

Unable to respond to his childish remarks, I simply grunted and laid back on my chair. Resting my legs on the table, I blankly stared at the closed door, which lead to the training hall of my class.

"So...how long are you gonna stay like this?", Regis's voice spoke. Without giving him a glance, I replied. "Until I figure things out." I turned my head back to the wolf who was silently snickering at my response. "And what are those, 'things'?"

"Quit playing me with me, Regis. I'm not in the mood", my tone cold. "Wait, is this about Caera, again?" he asked.

I sighed as I took out the cylindrical relic in my hand to study its surface for what seemed like a millionth time. Still, the relic wouldn't budge; the lock wouldn't open. Though I was doing that physically, my mind was somewhere else.

Caera...

I couldn't help but think about our last interaction...if we could call it that.

Her uncharacteristic actions, some of which had heavily surprised me, lately. While I may have not known the Alacryan Noble for a long period, the times we spent together as companions, partners...we were able to understand each other's motives and intentions. If it wasn't for that clarity, I would have never taken a chance to get closer to her, someone with high potential to be able to harm my continent at any given time...

But...

Why is she getting closer to me? Why—would she...hug...me? And...and what's with that face that she had made?

I know she had been tasked to "get closer" to me by her blood. Perhaps her mentor had asked her to do the same as well, who I had a pretty good idea of her identity. Infact the only reason I let things play out this way was due to her involvement. If she hadn't helped me—spared my life...

But why would Caera act on it? I would understand if she had done it in front of her blood; to look convincing. Hell, I wouldn't have even minded half as much as I am doing now!

'Why are you getting so pissed? Quit thinking these unnecessary thoughts, its starting affect me.' Regis said, interrupting my train of thoughts.

Ignoring his words, I tried to figure out just what I can do...at this situation.

I wanted to trust Caera. And I think I do. But seeing her actions change all of a sudden, it felt off. It's no coincidence that it happened right after her visit to the Denoir's Estate.

My paranoia crept up on me as my mind weaved several possibilities on what could've caused Caera to act this way. While there were many possibilities that—I chose to ignore...simply because it sounded ridiculous even inside my head, I had a few suspicions that I would never accept, but I still considered them.

'You're serious! Just how would it be highly possible for Caera to secretly work for Agrona, than the possibility of Caera...actually liking you, hence she's acting the way she is.'

Tch. I clicked my tongue in annoyance. "Don't bother answering that question, because it was rhetorical. Or simply, idiotic and even I know that." He said out loud in a serious tone.

"Shut up, Regis. I'm not finding any happiness in having such thoughts. You and I both know that I trust Caera...more than anyone else in this continent... I had even considered telling her my..."—I stopped myself and shook my head in desperation—"...I'm just...worried." I finished in a soft melancholic tone.