Chapter 25

NICO SEVER POV:

"Is that all you've got? If then, I must say that I'm terribly disappointed at you, little brother". Melzri mocked, shaking her head comically.

"Stop talking while fighting!" I bellowed, letting the soulfire wrap my fists and moved. The black spikes making a series of footholds for me to jump on, as I shot through the sky aiming at where the grey-haired Scythe stood. "And, I'm not your little brother!" I snarled, releasing the tainted flames, aiming at her face.

Melzri looked at me indifferently, almost in boredom. The soulfire shot through the air at a devastating speed; it's size large enough to devour her swiftly. But she moved her hand, with a flick of her wrist, creating a blast of black wind, which simply extinguished the flame. "Tsk. Tsk. Tsk." She clicked her tongue, while shaking her head with a sly grin. The act only made me angry, as I shot multiple black spikes around the ground where she stood.

"So predictable". She furrowed her brows as her body soon surrounded in a black mist that slithered around her like a coiling snake—protecting her. It spread out towards the incoming black spikes, like a poisonous venom coming into contact with them, melting them away like hot knife through butter.

It didn't stop there...as the snake shot through the air, leaving its conjurer, now aiming at its prey.

Me.

I tried to jump back while conjuring up more black spikes to intercept the incoming poison mist. But, the snake opened its maw, its mouth covered in endless darkness much like my trainer's eyes, as it descended upon me.

"Do you give up, little brother? I don't want to believe that our lord, the High Sovereign, made a mistake in choosing you. I won't accept that you're a failed experiment, unlike your predecessor." Melzri spoke through the mist. Her voice coming from everywhere, yet nowhere.

Was I hearing her voice inside my head?! I freaked out.

"S-Stop this non-sense, Melzri. You know I don't like these sick games of yours." I yelled, my voice deep and hollow as it fizzled out just as the sound left my mouth.

The damn mist! I grunted inside my mind.

"You have been given a chance to redeem yourself. Yet here you are, failing yet again. With no improvement to show." Finally, I could see the Scythe's figure as she appeared amongst the swirling black mist. Her white skin a striking contrast to the power she wielded. "So weak! Yet, you keep playing with that little plaything of yours all day long. Skipping training sessions." She shook her head in disappointment, her onyx eyes narrowly fixed on my position.

"Shut the hell up!" I snapped. Moving my hand, soulfire bursted out, around my feet, pushing me back to safety—far and away from the poison mist. "Speak about her, and your tongue will be burned", I hissed, glaring at my trainer.

"Stop chattering". A soft, silvery voice rung next to my ear, cutting me off. It's grating quality made my teeth screech, and insides churn. I spun around, to see the woman, my other trainer, Scythe Viessa—standing at the entrance of the training room.

"Nico". Her deep set of black-on-black eyes fixed on mine, devoid of any emotions. "High Sovereign ordered you to go take care of the legacy. She is having one of her episodes again."

My previous anger, only raged out. "O-Ordered?" I growled, grinding my teeth as my jaws clenched. Releasing the spell I had casted, I moved away from the still lingering black mist, headed towards the training room entrance. "What did Agrona do to her now?!" I spat out in anger.

"If I were you, I'd watch that mouth of mine, little Nico. Even the walls of our lord's castle have ears of their own, you must know." Viessa spoke, her voice unusually calm, yet making my stomach flip.