Chapter 15

ARTHUR LEYWIN POV:

"Is it necessary that we have to travel this far just for a cup of tea?" I looked at Caera questioningly as I leapt off the carriage. Lending her my hand, she got off, holding mine.

She merely smirked, a distant...longing visible on her face as she looked at the massive structure in front of us. "Let's go, Grey." She said without looking at me, her eyes still fixed to the building. Without any reply, I walked forward with her, hand-in-hand.

'Isn't this too big, and...too early to celebrate?' I thought inwardly. Regis laughed. 'Maybe she just needed a reason to take you on a date.'

I rolled my eyes and kept walking.

As we entered through the large sized double-door, a middle-aged woman in a maid uniform quickly walked over to us and greeted in a polite tone.

"Welcome, Lady Caera Denoir", she said as she bowed, before turning to me and flashing a courteous smile. She guided us through the halls, while I noticed several heads turning to our direction on our way. "Why are they all...looking at us?" I whispered to Caera. She took a side glance at my face before it went lower. "I told you to wear something nice, yet you wouldn't listen to me." She chided.

I simply shrugged. "I'm not a big fan of dressing up. My uncle said that if I dress poshly, I tend to gain a lot of attention." My tone carrying a hint of pride and arrogance, but I obviously meant it as a joke.

Caera's eyebrow rose up questioningly as she eyed me. "Your "uncle" huh? Do you perhaps mean that old man with white beard and pot belly that carries around a bottle of wine in his coat pocket and calls himself your uncle?" I was a little flustered at her direct words, more so by the tone she had used. All of a sudden, I felt a little embarrassed, more so than the unwanted attention I was gaining from Nobles for the lack of proper clothing. "Y-Yeah, that's the one. Uncle Al."

She gave a thoughtful nod. "Well, he's not wrong." She flashed a smirk while eyeing me up and down, from the side, making me blush.

Coughing, I changed the topic. "This place is good. Lots of private rooms. I bet you are a usual here, from the way the maid seems to know you..." I said as I looked around the lavishly decorated interior. There were several paintings and series of glass sculptures placed around the large hall, depicting scenes of what I assumed to be from some sort of a romance novel. An extensive indoor garden was laid out at the centre of the large hall, while a series of skylights formed a central atrium to let the natural light inside. Caera's voice drifted me back to my own self, as I turned around to meet her gaze, while we walked forward.

"You're right. I usually come to this place with my mentor, after our training session. We have our own private room that we can use, which are dedicated to the Scythes." She spoke in melancholic tone. I glanced over her soft features, before speaking out. "This looks like the place she would come to." Caera's ruby eyes widened as she abruptly stopped on her tracks, while I did the same, though forcibly, as our arms were interlocked. Turning to look at her face, I saw glimpses of emotions springing up to her soft surface. Shock, being the prominent one, followed by fear and nervousness. I could bet that I saw her face relax even, as if a heavy weight has been lifted off of her chest. 

And, she spoke with a low tone that could have very well passed as a whisper. "So, you know who my mentor is...", it was more of a confirmation than a question.

I didn't answer her right away, though, as I already figured that she had known. Then, I felt her arm grip tighten as she coiled herself close to me, pulling me as if to squeeze the information out of me. As I was about to speak, the maid stopped walking, as she unlocked an expensive looking door, gesturing for us to enter. "Please."