Chapter forty - nature or nurture

Katerina aka Libra

I shot up from my bed as soon as I heard it, I was the first one at the scene because I'm faster now..after dying; it wasn't that bad because now I feel stronger, more powerful

The scream was awful though: it was so loud and full of fear it rattled my bones. It was even worse now that all my senses are heightened.

The petrified wail came from Ayanna- why is she in my brothers room? Oh God. Charlie!

He was covered in blood, it was a horrible sight but I kept my pain and fright inside, there was no use showing it right now or else the nothing productive would be done at all

Cole and Kai came following my lead with Liam, Emily and Cassie coming somewhat after, Cassie pushed through us all before stopping and breaking down at the sight.

"Who did this to him?!?!" She sobbed

Kai was the only one brave enough to reply, "I-I don't know.."

he suddenly became unfeeling again. I still don't fully understand how he does that, shutting everything off, I'd love to do that.

"Check him" Kai ordered, I knew what he meant by that but it seemed the others (beside Cole) did not

Cole stepped towards Charlie's bloody body, however kai stopped him with a harsh bump on the shoulder.

"Not you" kai said

"What? To good for my help?" Cole rolled his eyes.

He needs to calm down. No good will come with him acting like this.

"That's not what I mean and you know it, stop being difficult. I'm only saying that your demonic powers would react with his"  Kai returned and Cole backed off

"Fine whatever, I'll be in my room if you need me" he tried to leave calmly but he slammed the door so hard it blew off it's hinges.

I crouched beside my brother and placed my index fingers carefully on either side of his temple and closed my eyes, focusing hard on any signs of him.

"What do I do with him?" Asked Kai pleadingly to me, I tried to answer while still focusing on Charlie but it's a little tough, especially when everyone in that room is keeping a watchful eye on you.

I sighed, "just cut him some slack, okay? It can't be easy for him to suppress a part of himself so dark.. it's just hard for him"

"It's hard for all of us right now"

"Don't act like you understand what we've been through and what Charlie is about to go through because you never will"

That shut him up and it was good timing too because I had found something in Charlie.

There was a negative energy burning inside that was pushing me out, it burned through my fingertips and shocked me out from his head.

"You okay?" Cassie asked while helping me up from the floor.

"Yeah.. he's in there all right, come find me when he wakes up" my words were brief and before I could be bombarded with questions I fled from the scene.

I sped off down the corridor and pushed the door of my own room open. Once inside, I tensed at the slight breath sounds and light footprints I heard from behind.

I picked up a knife Cole had left in my room and launched it at our mystery visitor. I lifted my head up to see Cole holding a knife between two fingers that was millimetres away from hitting his face.