Chapter forty six- table for twelve

Kai awoke in a daze. He tried to recognise his blurred surroundings but He could  not. Everything there was foreign to him, no sunlight could be seen shining through so everything was candlelit and it smelt earthy.

His jagged breathing echoed and the damp coolness of the place gave him chills. The sound of waves crashing against rocks could be heard in the distance and the thick air was salty, so salty In fact that you could taste it on the tip of your tongue. If Kai had to take a guess, he'd say they were in a cave.

He tried to rise from the chair He was slumped in before realising He wasn't going anywhere with the buckles on his wrists and ankles, strapping him down. He shared these straps with nine other people he had traveled with.

The table the were seated at was long and hard with nothing remotely comfortable or welcoming about it. Many dishes of the highest cuisine lay before them, not that any of them could reach the food with the state they were in

Charlie Burke sat at the head with a common, sliver kitchen knife in his left hand which he twirled through his fingers effortlessly. As the Ten became to stir, a sadistic grin crept onto his face. Oh how he'd been waiting for this.

You may have noticed only ten of the zodiacs were at the table instead of eleven. You see, Charlie knew of Liam's newfound power and couldn't risk them escaping before they got what they deserve.

Orion sat the opposite end of Charlie, sharing the other demon's sickening smile. Pride swelled up in his chest as he watched them struggle because he had done what Ophiuchus could not: he had completed his mission.

And the mission was vital.

"Glad you could all make it" Charlie announced, raising his glass to toast their capture.

"Charlie.." Cole coughed breathlessly, "you're a fucking psychopath"

Charlie huffed out a laugh, "you have no idea" his voice was borderline hysterical as he jammed his knife through the flesh of Cole's hand until the point of the blade could be seen through the other side.

Cole grunted in pain, his dark blood bubbling around the blade. A series of gasps and wide, panicked eyes caused an outburst at the table.

"Now, I hope you all have your listening ears on because there's is a couple of dozen things I want to get off my chest" Charlie began, "you're all scared of me and don't even try to deny it because I'm an empath, I literally feel what you feel which is honestly both a blessing and a curse really with you miserable lot"

"Ever since you all found out what I'd become you were distant, not even bothering to know me! You judged me and you feared me when in reality I was just a kid who had never been shown the tiniest bit of love of care in his entire life!" Charlie snapped, staring at them with a look of overbearing betrayal.

He moved on, "let's start with my dear sisters, shall we?"

Katerina clenched her jaw and prepared for the verbal assault her twin would fire at her. She wouldn't fight back, she would just take it because she wholeheartedly believed that this was all her fault...maybe a few months ago she wouldn't but then again, she's not the person she used to be.

Octavia refused to meet Charlie's eyes, she just couldn't do it. She was festering in guilt, allowing it to swallow her whole because she wasn't there to protect him like she promised she would.

Emily thought she was going to be sick or faint, maybe both of that was even possible. Given the past few months she was down to believe anything.

"Katerina, my dearest twin.. I read this book about twins once, y'know, since I had nothing to do for the first sixteen years of my life. Anyway, off topic, it said that it is believed that twins have this special bond that forms in the womb and yet, I find myself wanting absolutely nothing to do with you. But hey, at least you feel it too! Did you ever even ask about me? For all those birthdays and Christmas or when you felt so happy you had to share it? Or when you felt so low and you think nobody would understand it because nobody would understand you? Twins are supposed to understand! Twins are there in the very, very beginning! But not once, NOT ONCE, did you ever come find me! You'd just walk past my door day after day after day, unfazed, unbothered"