06 | Apologetic

Content warnings; none!

(Y/N)'s POV

I'm glad Jean came to my rescue and escorted me back to my place. I wasn't looking forward to walking home alone anyway, especially after that stupid altercation today.

"Jean—you didn't have to do this, you know? I totally owe you one." I stated, as I let go of him

"Nah, you don't have to thank me." He placed his hand on his head and cheesed extra hard at me.

"Why did you help me? I didn't think anyone would've came back for me." I asked, curiously.

Whenever I did manage to get hurt, no one was really around to help me. It was my dad's way of telling me to toughen up. My mom was the only one who came to my rescue, but after her passing, my dad either disregarded my injuries or he was just flat out gone. There was no in-between.

"Well, I noticed you weren't with the group, so I figured maybe you had gotten lost or something. I helped you because we're going to be comrades sooner or later, if you decide to join the military. Comrades help each other." He answered, smiling.

Comrades?

It was clear he didn't listen to me when I stated that he didn't have to walk me any further, but here we were, at my front door.

I unlocked it and opened the door, only to reveal that it was going to be another painfully boring and lonely night, without my dad being home. My worst fear; the moment I dread the most.

I faced Jean again.

I smiled, "Thanks again, I appreciate you." I playfully nudged him, trying to distract him from my feelings.

"Say—do you live alone?" He asked, like he was worried I wouldn't be okay by myself.

"For the most part, yeah.." I sighed.

"Are you sure you don't want me to stay or anything? I would be happy to it's not like I have plans or anyt-"

I interrupted him, "It's okay, I have to take a shower and do my homework anyway, if you don't mind." I interrupted him, giving him a weak smile.

He chuckled, "Right, of course." He cleared his throat, "I'll see you tomorrow then."

I shut the door behind me and for some reason, I felt bad for shutting him out. He was really sweet, there's no doubting that. I kind of like him. Besides, he takes care of me and makes sure that I'm okay. I need that, especially being here all on my own. I walked into my room and headed over to my nightstand. I looked at the framed picture that was sitting on it. It was a picture of my parents and me sitting on my mom's lap.

I missed my mom more than anything, I miss my dad too. As much as I hate to admit it, I feel lonely and abandoned and I could really use Jean's company right now—or anyone's as a matter of fact, but it feels like it's just too much to ask for. It's been like this ever since my mom passed.

Dad was always gone.

I missed the days where I would happily jump into her arms and watch my father laugh and adore me from afar. I missed the days where my mom would play dress up with me and dad and I would play pretend.