23 | Phone Calls

Content warnings; mentions of violence and death.

Songs i listened to for this chap:
gone, gone, gone- Phillip philips
when she loved me- Sarah mclachlan
how to save a life- the fray

"Mommy, when are you going to get better?" You asked, the moment you saw your father bring her home. You couldn't wait to see your mother, since she had been gone for a few hours. You ran into her room, only to feel dispirited because she no longer had the energy to play dress up with you like she always did.

You were also filled with curiosity, when you saw your father crying, while he was putting your mother to bed. Though, he never told you why he was crying, he only told you that your mother was sick.

She chuckled, "Once I'm free, I'll be the healthiest person in the world." She replied, weakly smiling at you, but in her heart, she knew she would have to say her final goodbyes to you. She knew that with a casualty like this, she was in no way, shape, or form of surviving.

"Hold out your hand, dear." She softly whispered to you. You nodded and did as told, by holding out your hand. She cupped your tiny hand and dropped a silky black ribbon into the palm of it.

"This ribbon is important, (Y/N). It was passed on to me, from my mother, and now I'm passing it onto you. Once you have a daughter, you pass it onto her." She stated, caressing your cheeks, with her gentle hands that were slightly trembling.

You didn't understand what was going on and it didn't help the fact that you noticed that your mother was crying too. You were upset that your parents were hiding something from you.

"Mommy, why are you crying?" You asked with worry, feeling gutted because you didn't like to see her this way.

"I'm just so happy that you'll be able to grow up into a strong, beautiful young woman. You will always be my greatest blessing and I will forever love you. Goodbye, (Y/N). Mommy will see you later." She smiled, before reaching out to grab your hands once more, but this time, she held them ever so tightly.

She stared at you with her adoring eyes, that dilated at the sight of you. Her angelic eyes told you once more that she loved you, without her having to say with words. For the remaining moments you didn't know you had with her, the two of you never broke eye contact.

You watched, as the grip she had on your hands, loosened. You watched, as her arm effortlessly fell to the side and dangled from the bed. You watched, as her eyes ultimately lost it's meaning.

The sudden silence had scared you, so you put your tiny hands on your mother's lifeless body and shook her repeatedly. You called her name, no response. You asked if she was tired, no response. You thought she fell into a deep slumber, so you promised you'd see her later like she told you, but little did you know your mother had died right before your eyes.

I shot up from my bed, sweating and swiftly checking my surroundings. I let out a hefty sigh, once I discerned that I was still at the Yeagers. I fixated my eyes on the alarm clock that laid on the nightstand to the right of me. It was fairly early in the morning.

That must've been a dream of some sort.

I wiped my forehead on the sleeve of my shirt. I stepped out of bed because I couldn't go back to sleep, not after dreaming about my deceased mother anyway. I ambled to the bathroom and washed my face thoroughly. Since I was already in the bathroom, I concluded to do my morning routine. The silence consumed the entire house, so it was obvious that Carla and Eren were still asleep.