Chapter 1: Mill Neck

Mill Neck.

Quiet, beautiful, healthy and lonely.

Just the way Anastasia Annabelle liked it. She was never one to meet others and socialize, those were back in her early years. She was now 44 years old and she wanted to be by herself... At least, that's what she thinks she wants. Everyday she would fight herself, her decisions were hard. She wasn't entirely alone.
A soft meow caught her attention and she turned over in her bed to hold out her hand, she giggled when she felt a small nibble on her palm.

'You want breakfast now, don't you?'

She mumbled before kicking the sheets off of herself and getting up to open the windows.
The landscape was beautiful, everything was beautiful is in Mill Neck.

'Good morning'.

She said out a loud before going into the bathroom to wash her face and head down to the kitchen.
Her house was big, too big, but to be fair, she had a family here. Her two children and husband.
Sam and Rita Annabelle had long since flown the coop now and her husband, Alan?

Well.

They weren't married anymore, although they had children, Alan had distant and cold to the point that he'd sleep in the guest bedroom.
It had hurt Anastasia so much that she almost went over the edge. Alan had used that as an excuse to leave the relationship, and she didn't blame him.

Meow.

She snapped back into reality, 'oh sorry Molly, I'm not feeling that great today'.

You're talking to a damn cat...

She prepared Molly's breakfast before making her own. She would always sit out side on the large balcony, sipping her tea and eating her breakfast. It was her morning ritual, and it never stopped.

You're lonely, you may be 44, but you need to go out and get a life.

The voice in her head was always right, but she went against it, always, she was just so tired or trying.
Her children had stopped talking to her, but it wasn't because they'd hit a rough patch with her, it was just that they had a life.
Andrew was her oldest, he was 25 this year, and he'd already got himself a stable job. He was even engaged to a lovely woman who was now pregnant.
Mina on the other had, at the age of 21, was studying Screen Acting, and she had moved out of home to board closer to the complex. The first month of not having Mina in the house was painful for Anastasia, she was very lonely, but Mina would call her every day... Until she began to really move forward and there were less phone calls.

Of course Anastasia would try and call both her children, and it would either be that they were busy and couldn't pick up the phone, or they would pick up and have small talk with their mother.
She was just glad to hear their voices and know that they were safe.

She took a bite of the toast, tapping her painted fingernails against the porcelin cup.

What are you going to do with yourself?

'Nothing... Nothing at all'.

What what she said out aloud.