Chapter 9: Thank You, For The Present

Stacey had given Anastasia some seeds to plant.

Roses are my favourite, they'd look lovely around your house!

Stacey was right, she was always right. Anastasia hadn't bothered getting a hat, but she managed to find her old gardening gloves. Getting into clothes that she no shit about, she set out to work on the garden.
She was outside for who knows how long when she heard a deep, but gentle voice behind her.

'Shi- I mean'.

She stopped when she realised who it was.

'Oh... Mr. Wick, what're you- I mean, it's lovely to see you here... Are you okay?'

God you sound terrible.

Mr. Wick smiled gently and lifted up a box, it was wrapped up in a colourful paper.

'Oh? That's for me?'

She got up from where she was and took her gloves off as she approached him, 'sorry about my attire, a friend of mine gave me some rose seeds to plants and I'd thought to spice up the garden... It's been rather-', she shook her head, you're talking too much, he doesn't care!

'Anyway, how're you?'

Mr. Wick smirked down at her, he was much taller than her, 'I'm alright thank you, and thank you for the little gift you gave me'.

'Oh, you're welcome, thought I'd say hi, it's a little awkward to realise that I had a neighbour after living here for 2 years'.

She chuckled, her eyes landing on the box and he held it out to her, he hadn't said anything for a few moments until he broke to silence.

'I wasn't so sure what you liked, I didn't really want to give you a hamper, I don't like copying people'.

She gently took the present from him, 'thank you Mr. Wi-'.

'John, it's just John'.

'Alright, John... I'm Anastasia, or you can call me Anna for short'.

He smiled down at her, 'it's lovely to meet you Anastasia', they stood in silence before she coughed, 'would you like to come in for coffee of?'
Sadly he shook his head, 'I'm sorry but I have to decline, I have a few errands to run, but maybe next time?'
She hoped so.

'Yes! Of course, next time, well have a good day!'

'You too'.

He turned and headed back to his car, I didn't even hear him drive up... Was that him last night? Or am I going mad?