Chapter 19: New Evidence?

She didn't want to go back into the bedroom, she didn't want to see him. He was a sudden suspect, new evidence had pointed towards him?

Oh god...

She must have taken quite a bit of time because John had come out of the bed room, dressed in everything but his top, 'hey, you'll catch a cold', he handed Anastasia her top. She hung up the phone and placed it down carefully before grabbing the shirt from him.

'Who was that?'

'Hmm? Who was what?'

John chuckled, 'oh the phone? Who was it?'

Oh... Uh, Andrew!

'Oh! My son, Andrew?'

John smiled, 'oh your son, alright, hope he's doing well, did you want me to make you a drink?'

You need to say yes, try and stay calm.

'Yeah, sure! Sadly I don't have coffee'.

'That's alright, I see you've got tea, I haven't had it for a while myself'.

Anastasia wanted to cry, but it wasn't because she was afraid, not really, it was because of how much John had changed whilst he was with her. He sounded lively and he sounded like... He wasn't lonely.

What do we do? Rover and Digger will be here shortly...

It took her a few moments until she realised that John was calling her name, 'I'm sorry pardon?' She quickly asked and John frowned at her, clear concern crossed his features.

'Are you okay, you don't look so well'.

He took a step towards her, and before she realised it, she had taken a sudden step back, which John caught immedietly.

'Are you okay?'

'Yeah, I am... Why?'

John took another step towards her, but this time Anastasia stood her ground, 'Anna... What's wrong, you look... Scared'.

'I-I'm not scared'.

Her heart rate increased when he looked back at the phone, 'who was on the phone?' It was obvious that it wasn't her son.
She didn't respond and this time, John turned his attention back on her, 'who was on the phone Anna?'

No one.

'Uh... It was Alan'.

Hopefully that was believable.

To her dismay, John didn't react to that anwer as much as she'd hoped, 'Anna I-', the sound of the doorbell went off and Anastasia did her best to act confused, 'what the fuck?' She tried not to rush over to the door.

Sure enough Detective Rover and Officer Digger stood before her.

Everything was a blur, and for a few moments she had gone numb. John was placed in handcuffs, his wide eyes met hers and he was screaming something, she just managed to hear him.

'I didn't do anything! I swear, please believe me Anna, I wouldn't do something like that!'

He struggled against Digger, 'you've got it all wrong, I saw her, but only once! But I never touched her!'

Her...

Her?