Chapter 17: Kiss But Don't Tell

Anastasia hissed in pain as John placed some ointment on her cuts, mainly the cuts that she couldn't reach.

Jesus, Alan really did a number on you Anna.

'Sorry'.

John said softly when she winced, 'you seem to know what you're doing', she chuckled and John shrugged, 'I've done things to myself by accident... Though I haven't had that type of situation before'.
He hadn't looked up at her when he said that sentence. Anastasia's heart was pounding against her chest.

'Thank you'.

'That's okay, the cuts should be fine-'.

'For saving me, from Alan'.

John had placed her leg down and sat silently for a few moments, 'you're welcome', he smiled gently. She looked away, choosing to look out towards the balcony.

'I don't know what I did wrong in that relationship...'.

She noticed John freeze in her periphral, he hadn't said anything yet.

'Everything was fine... When I had Andrew, everything was fine... Then there was Mina and after a while we started to go downhill'.

She looked back at John, 'I don't know what I did... I-', she hadn't realised that she was crying until John had wrapped his arms around her. He didn't say anything, just held her close to his chest, his arms weren't too tight. She could hear his heart beat, it was beating a lot fast than she thought.
Slowly she wrapped her arms around his waist as she managed to return the hug, she could feel his muscles underneath his shirt. he was strong, and Anastasia couldn't help but nuzzle closer.
When she had stopped crying he was about to pull away but she held on tightly, 'wait... Please don't let go... please'.
She was asking for too much but she felt like she hadn't been selfish in a long while. She liked him... Maybe even more, she wasn't so sure.
John went ot hold her against him once again, but he was gentle this time, this was a normal hug now, and she closed her eyes when she felt his fingers suddenly rake through her hair. She hadn't been hugged like this by a man for quite some time.

Wake up.

She realised that they had been hugging for a little than usual and she tapped his back to let him know that the hug was over. They slowly parted, but they were still touching each other.

'You okay?'

She managed to hear him say but she didn't respond, instead she looked up at him, she looked him in the eyes. They were darker than usual, I like that, she moved closer to him but she was afraid that he'd push her away, he'd tell her that it wasn't like that, that he only saw her as a friend... That we've only just met.

No.

He leaned down slowly and their lips met.