GIRLFRIEND

"What's wrong?

"Sorry Trey, but I can't. I'm not ready."

He pressed his fists deep into the mattress on both sides of me and exhaled sharply. He buried his head into my neck and grunted.

"Damn! Alright, let's go watch a movie."

Trey got up and put his shirt back on. I sat up and watched him looking for any sign of anger.

"Are you mad at me?"

"No it's alright."

"You sure?"

He pecked my lips and grabbed my hand.

"It's cool."

We started walking back down the hall towards the living room. Trey walked up behind me and whispered in my ear.

"When you're ready, it's over. I'm not stopping no matter how much you beg for mercy."

I smiled and we sat back on the couch, an hour later Kenny and Key emerged so we headed home. When I pulled up to drop Key off she hesitated getting out of the car.

"What?"

I knew she had a question burning the tip of her tongue.

"What is really going on with you and Trey?"

"What do you mean?"

"Danni, anyone with two eyes can see that you two really like each other. Kenny told me how much he talks about you and I know how much you talk about him, so why don't ya'll just be together?"

I just stared at her. I mean as cool as everything was with Trey and me, I was scared. I liked the way things were and if being in a relationship changed that, I wasn't really sure how I'd feel.

"Key. I've never had a boyfriend before, I don't know what to do."

"How are you gonna find out if you don't try?"

She had a point.

"I don't know. I'll have to talk to him."

"You should."

Key hopped out my truck and I drove home. I guess I'd gotten so comfortable with the way things were the thought of us being official had slipped my mind.

Christmas was around the corner so with the mall being busy, Trey and I were working a lot. The end of the semester was coming too so we were all swamped with homework. We hardly had time to workout let alone hang out. As much as I dreaded being in the mall any longer than scheduled I did have some Christmas shopping to do. Marcus said he would drive and tag along. We hadn't really seen much of each other.

"So who do you have to get stuff for?"

Marcus asked as he parked his car and we headed into the mall.

"Well Key, Kenny Trey and you."

"Okay what are you getting Key?"

"These shoes she's been talking about. I'm thinking she was trying to throw me a hint."

"Key being indirect? That's a FIRST!"

We both laughed.

"Marcus?"

"Yes?"

"I kind of needed your help with something."

"Shoot."

"Well I've never really been talking to a guy before. So I mean I don't really know what to get him."

"When did y'all start talking? I thought y'all were just friends?"