Who am I

Trey let my hand go and watched me go sit by his mother before darting up the stairs. I sat down and felt her staring a hole through my head.

"So how long have you known my son?"

"For almost 5 months now."

"Really? And when did y'all become an item?"

"The day he left."

"Why then?"

"Well I was kind of nervous because I've never had a boyfriend so I didn't really know what to expect. But I really like him and he asked so I said yes."

She sipped from her wine glass.

"Well. That's my baby right there. My only son. Every girl that he brings in here which isn't many I tell her. He's a good boy, got a good head on his shoulder and you should be honored to have him."

"I am."

"Yeah. I like you. Nothing like that other girl he had last summer. Shaneeka sha something."

I rubbed my arm thinking about our fight earlier.

"Yeah I met her at the mall."

"Stank little something aint she?"

"Yup"

And that's why she got her ass beat..

I thought I was thinking it but I said it instead. I had a bad habit of doing that.

"You beat her up?"

"Um."

"No baby! Tell me!"

I told her about what happened at the mall and what happened at the park and she smiled.

"Well a lady shouldn't be fighting, but. That little girl had it coming. Danni you alright with me!"

I smiled.

"Ma you done interrogating my girl!"

Trey yelled from upstairs.

"You keep yelling in my house the police gonna be interrogating me about what happened to you."

I laughed.

"Go on up there before I have to kill him."

"Okay."

"Tomorrow I'm gonna cook breakfast for you. What time are you leaving?"

"Probably at noon, don't want to leave too late."

'Smart girl. Yes Daniela you are alright with me."

She clicked the TV on and I headed upstairs. Trey was waiting at the landing. We took showers and then just hung out in his room watching TV. I said I was going to sleep when his mom came up and 20 minutes later he was in the guest room laying with me. We talked until I fell asleep. The next morning I got up and got dressed and we ate with is mother. Key and Kenny came over for a little while before we all decided to start heading home. Trey was sad to see me go but said he couldn't wait to come back to school in a week. The ride home seemed quicker than going down. I dropped Key off and headed home. Marcus was asleep on the couch. I turned the TV off and covered him up before going upstairs. I text Trey and told him I made it safe and we talked for a little while before I went to bed. 7 more days until I could see his face everyday. I couldn't wait. I missed my baby.

It was the first day of spring semester. Key and I rode together and practically raced into the commons to see Trey and Kenny. Trey dropped his book bag and ran over to me picking me up. I'd lost another 5 lbs so now my weight loss was almost 40 pounds. He kissed me and everyone around us looked at us either jealous or thinking it was sweet. We walked over to Kenny and I gave him a hug. Trey and I made our schedules last semester so that we would be together as much as possible. Key and Kenny did the same. All four of us had English together and then Trey and I went to History and Key and Kenny went to sociology. We were walking to class when I started to notice all the new faces, mostly girls, looking Trey's way. He held my hand and acted like nothing was going on. After class we had to go our different ways but when I was done with classes for the day he promised to meet me at the gym. When I got there I saw him talking to some girl. She was a little too close for comfort. I raised my eyebrow and walked over.