Chapter Three

Hades shook his head as he walked around the grounds of Beast's Castle, his daughter's Cerberus by his heels. It was honestly hard to believe he was going to be a grandfather now. He'd finally caught up to his brothers—which was more than a little startling if he was honest.

He knew, of course, that whether the pup was a girl or a boy, he'd love them no matter what. How could he not? They would be Mali's child—well and the sunspot's of course.

Speaking of the Sunspot, Hades thought as he caught glimpse of the former Queen of Auradon sitting by her lonesome. Honestly, Hades thought that she'd still be with the squealing staff all thrilled at making preparations for the arrival of the new Prince or Princess.

I mean, I understand they're all excited but there's only so much squealing a person can take, he thought. The fact that Steph joined in on the squealing was what drove me to go on this walk, thankfully with a non-squealing companion.

Even Mama Odie could tell that the excited squealing of Genevieve, Mrs. Potts, Rea, Belle, and Persephone was hurting the three headed canine's ears. Mal had graciously allowed Hades the chance to escape the squeals by asking him to take Estelle on a walk.

"Lady Belle?" Hades asked, realizing a moment too late that she'd been praying. "My...my apologies for interrupting. I saw you here and...well we're to share a grandchild. I wanted to make sure you were okay."

Belle smiled slightly as she looked up at Hades, Estelle resting his heads on her lap in comfort.

"I...I was praying," she said softly. "To Lady Eileithyia."

"Not the first person people pray to when they pray to Olympus," Hades said. "Besides, I thought you grew up with the same God as my favorite play thing? I thought you'd be more likely to pray to him?"

Belle shook her head. "Lady...Lady Eileithyia is the Goddess of Pregnancy," she said softly. "I...I lost my daughter and even though I love Genevieve with all my heart, I still miss Abigail every day. I...I would never want Mal to go through that, just like I know Adam would never want Ben to know that helpless feeling."

Oh sure he hid it well but Belle knew her husband. Besides, there hadn't been much for the two of them to do once Adam retired from being King meaning they finally got the chance to talk about that day.

Meaning Adam finally got the chance to mourn their daughter rather than bury himself in his paperwork and block out the grief he was feeling. Her papa even tried to talk with him once after Chip had told him about the lost pregnancy, but all Adam would tell him was that Belle, Ben, and the kingdom needed someone to stay strong.

"Oh..." Hades said softly. "Do you mind if I sit down?"

"Go right ahead," Belle told him, scooting over a little to make room on the log she was sitting on.

Hades sat down and sighed softly. "I won't lie and pretend like it's not something that's in the back of my mind," he told her. "Mal grew up on the Isle for sixteen years, if it hadn't been for the fish and chickens that somehow made it on the Isle, in addition to her Godly background and Steph bringing food..."

"Right," Belle nodded as she looked over at him. Mal had told them all what the Isle had been like and every conversation had been like a knife to the heart.

She had been Queen during those twenty years. She could have spoken up and made it so that they didn't live without a human right. But she didn't.

Honestly she was amazed Hades was even speaking to her, never mind the fact that he had given Ben permission to propose.

"I...I'm sorry," Belle said, her voice no higher than a whisper and Hades looked over to her. "About the food on the Isle I mean. Maybe even the general status of the Isle. I...After Abby...nothing seemed to matter as much as making sure nothing happened to Ben. I guess I threw myself into being a mother whereas Adam threw himself into being a King."