Chapter Twenty

Ben sighed as he walked around his living room. Mal had gone off with Estelle on some quest to get him a friend—or 'girlfriend' as she had put it. The only reason why Ben wasn't freaking out more was because Mal went over to her father's for assistance in getting Estelle's girlfriend.

And yes, he was aware that he would have been freaking out if his pregnant wife wasn't with her father. And yes, he was aware that they really needed to inform the kingdom. Especially with the weather getting warmer, Mal wouldn't be able to get away with baggy clothes or a loose fitting jacket for much longer.

Gods the castle's empty without Estelle here, Ben thought. Even though I know it's just for a little bit, I've grown so used to seeing him trotting after Mal or climbing into her lap during meetings that not having him here seems odd. Also, someone needs to teach Estelle that he's not a lap dog.

Ben could still remember the day that Estelle realized that he couldn't climb onto Mal's lap because the pregnancy belly had begun to basically eliminate the lap. Though he seemed to take it well especially after he was told that Mal would have 'puppies' to grow their pack.

"Ben?"

Ben smiled as he saw Mal and heard the patter of Estelle's paws on the castle floor. That could only mean that Mal's mission had been a success. "Which larger than life breed have you brought home this time? Please tell me it's another Rottweiler," he said with a fond sigh.

"Well that was one of the options but not the option Estelle chose. Ben, meet Nyx," Mal said with a small chuckle as she brought forth a Mastiff Cerberus.

Ben stared in shock, not even noticing his father-in-law standing in the background. "Mal...that dog is bigger than some ponies."

"Estelle liked her," Mal said with a small shrug. "Plus she's a sweetheart Ben! How could you say no to those faces?"

Ben sighed with a small smile. If this was what pregnancy did to Mal, he'd welcome it with open arms.

"Okay but Mal? No more dogs okay? Estelle, Nyx, and I'm assuming whatever puppies they may have are fine but that's the line."

"Oh I agree completely," Mal nodded.

Ben gave her a small smile. "Good. Now then, come here girl," he said gently, crouching down to meet the newest member of their family.

Nyx looked over at Estelle and Mal before seemingly giving a doggy shrug and plodded over to Ben.

"Good girl," Ben said, his voice soft as he started to pet Nyx. "Gods, you're a pretty one aren't you? Your fur's almost dark as night...which I'm now starting to understand the name choice."

Nyx gave a small yip that could have been a 'thank you' to anyone who was listening closely.

"Estelle has good taste," Ben said as he looked over at Mal.

Mal chuckled and looked down at her dog. "I think your girlfriend's going to be hard pressed to leave Ben's side," she teased him. Then again, girls love Ben. How could they not?

"You know we'll have to get another 'throne' for her," Ben said with a chuckle, pulling Mal out of her thoughts.

"Oh, on your side you mean?" Mal teased as she knew he was referring to the doggy 'throne' Estelle had in the throne room for the rare occasions where he didn't want to sit on Mal's lap.

"Of course! It'd be off balance otherwise," Ben said, teasing her right back.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the guy who didn't want another dog!" Mal said as she shook her head, a grin threatening to split her face in two.