Chapter Forty Four

Mal smiled as she looked at the sight in front of her. It was honestly hard to believe that Stephanie and Maurice were one but the date on the calendar didn't lie. It was indeed the twins' first birthday.

"How's it feel? No longer being able to use months to talk about your kids' ages?" Jay asked with a chuckle.

"Remind me to ask you that when it happens to you," Mal told him. It had been a few months since Jay had told her about Lonnie's pregnancy and Jay had been calling or asking questions almost every day.

Mal did remind him that he had a mother-in-law who had been pregnant twice but Jay had confided that after she'd reminded him about the possibility of the baby having Jafar's Genie background, he was only really comfortable asking Mal pregnancy questions.

Well, Mal and Uma but Harry had kinda put the kibosh on questions after Jay had accidentally called when Harry and Uma were putting Helena down for a nap. Or at least trying to put her down for a nap.

Harry had apparently warned Carlos about the possibility of Jay calling with questions because Jay's number had somehow been blocked on Jane's phone. And Akiho had called Jay as soon as he got wind of Jay's question spree and said point blank that he'd answer any questions he had, but if he threw off nap time, it would be the last time he took Jay's call until Jay's kid was born.

"You know you're worrying over nothing," Lonnie told him as Ben got her one of the more comfortable seats. "And honestly Ben, I'm not going to break if I'm on my feet you know."

"I know," Ben nodded. "But you're one of my friends and I want to make sure you're comfortable."

"You're sweet...you may be insane but you're sweet," Lonnie said. "Jay, go put our gifts with the others. I don't think Ben'll let me stand up again once I've sat down."

"Hey, he wants to make sure nothing happens to either you or the kiddo," Jay chuckled. "He's got to do his job as honorary uncle."

"He did it to me too, Lonnie, when I was pregnant with the twins," Mal said with a small chuckle. "I think Ben's default mode is 'worrier'."

"You guys know I can hear you right?" Ben asked.

"I know," Mal nodded. "Was I wrong?"

"...Lonnie, do you want anything to drink? Eat?" Ben asked, opting to ignore Mal's question and looked over at Lonnie.

"I'm fine Ben," Lonnie said, shaking her head. "Go focus on your other guests that are filing in rather than spending all your time worrying about your lone pregnant guest."

"Actually...Lucy's pregnant too," Chad's voice said from behind Mal.

Ben looked over and gave Chad a small smile. "Really? That's great news! But she didn't have to come if she—."

"Ben, she said, and I quote, 'if anyone tries to keep me home just because I'm carrying a kid inside me, someone's getting smacked'," Chad said, shaking his head. "She also pointed out that this was an invitation from the High King and Queen and it would have been rude for her not to attend."

"You know that wouldn't matter to me," Ben told Chad as he walked over to the curly haired man. "She's like a sister to me, you know that."

"I know, and so does she," Chad said. "Which is another reason why she wanted to attend. Didn't want to disappoint her brother."

Ben gave Chad another small smile before leaning over to whisper to him. "How are you doing? With Lonnie and now Lucy being pregnant?"

Chad sighed and shook his head. "We can talk about that later Ben, this is a party for your kids. Don't let me bring the mood down okay?"